Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: M20 for sale TOMORROW 15 JUNE

It's strange that we all express surprise at the high prices these are fetching. I believe these are one of the best pre-1945 motorcycles for every-day riding. Easy to maintain, reliable, good parts availability and a great community of other riders. Many people in this group ride their machines on a daily basis sand some of the iron-butt members clock up 10s of thousands of miles a year.

We also under-value the importance of having a fantastic community of like-minded riders. Some of us fell in love after buying one, but other people I'm sure, select WM20's specifically because of the great WD community out there always willing to offer advice and historical information, and possession of a WM bike is like the membership fee to join up. It is actually our "niceness" that's driving up the price of our babies. If we want prices to go down, we need to be more like other groups, bickering, back-stabbing and being generally unhelpful to newcomers.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

The reason is when you ride a Japanese bike nobody knows you have been there when you ride a bsa you leave a big pool of oil.

[When you ride a BSA you leave a big pool of oil...}...

Speak for yourself...:laughing: ....I only leave a small spot...and I reckon the bikes allowed to perspire at that age!...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Cas Vanderwoude
It's strange that we all express surprise at the high prices these are fetching. I believe these are one of the best pre-1945 motorcycles for every-day riding. Easy to maintain, reliable, good parts availability and a great community of other riders. Many people in this group ride their machines on a daily basis sand some of the iron-butt members clock up 10s of thousands of miles a year.

We also under-value the importance of having a fantastic community of like-minded riders. Some of us fell in love after buying one, but other people I'm sure, select WM20's specifically because of the great WD community out there always willing to offer advice and historical information, and possession of a WM bike is like the membership fee to join up. It is actually our "niceness" that's driving up the price of our babies. If we want prices to go down, we need to be more like other groups, bickering, back-stabbing and being generally unhelpful to newcomers.

In general prices of pre war riding bikes is falling.
This excludes the exotic bikes destined to be bought & sold & never see a road as a commodity .
The number of people wanting to own & ride this stuff is actually falling.
I would imagine if we did a poll the average age of this forum would be 60+.

However right now war is popular & trendy & I have a suspicion there is some government PR involved in this .
Thus military anything now is back in fashion and probably will be till the 100 year anniversary .

Also remember that money is only a common item for trade.
The actual price is hours worked not £ spent and in REAL terms prices are going down.
It is just out incomes are not rising as fast as they used to.
IF M20's had kept pace with inflation then you would be paying well over £ 100,000 for any bike.
Remember when they were new a pint was 1p and a weeks wages were £ 3.
Our soldiers being paid 10 shillings a day were considered "Overpaid" which was quite true as a lot of particularly rural volunteers did so because they could earn 2 to 3 times what they did doing hard yakka on a farm.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1