Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Normandy 2019

Ian, this wasn't the motorcyclist's Pegasus Bridge event but the WW2 MV gathering on Gold Beach on the morning of the 6th...or at least it was mentioned on the internet as such...I assume that someone regulated entrance to the beach and lined them up, otherwise they could just as easily have arrived and found the local 4x4 club there before them.

DSC-7434

20190601-130003

20190604-102510

DSC-7616

20190604-150923

20190605-112012

20190608-065539

received-837668923273175

received-436162667162172

received-652584161833472

DSC-7482

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Horror...Nice pics....and the Norton looks great...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian, I've got hundreds of pictures if anybody wants any from a particular place.

Well you were going to send me some of the little English Setter for Janet!! :disappointed: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I will do Ron, I've only just downloaded the pictures from mine and Wendy's phones to the PC.
My ancient computer won't work when I clicked the "reply" button on this site and I've had to go on my iPad to post these pictures. It's taken me over an hour to do on a touch screen device :sob:

Hi Everyone

It was a great trip and one I'm glad to have shared with my Son, we moved over to Utah on the 7th for a few nights after many left Matilde (and as it goes Rich also left his cap which we found on the floor) to what was effectively a field with one toilet and a shower, Seb said "Dad it was a shame we had to move I really liked where we were as I had loads of friends, they had cooked breakfast, pastries and a bar" he wasn't wrong on all counts..

Rich I've emailed you tonight and will post it once you send me your address

Lovely to see everyone again..

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Found in Longues sur mer battery

email (option): m606paz@yahoo.com.ar

That's Paul Fevyier and the 'NOBS' group. He does a nice job! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Great pictures Horror, I remember us all parking up on the nice new grey paving flags. We were there for around 10 minutes. Think the authority's would not be too happy with all the oil spots on the new flags after we left, some were a fair bit larger than a spot. Great riding and we fully enjoyed the full week, see if you can get some more pics loaded, I know its a pain but well worth it.:grinning:

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Another WNG found near Overlord Museum

Longues Battery Camp

Arromanches

Ian, I arranged the motorcycle gathering at the Pegasus Bridge Museum this year and below you will see a copy of the invitation and instructions I posted on every WW2 related Facebook and forums I could find. I think I made it abundantly clear of which motorcycles were invited to attend. To my mind gaining entry on a clearly post was bike was not in the spirit of the event. We had someone on the gate checking all motorcycles arriving but still people persisted in gaining entry. Easily done when bikes were arriving 10 at a time. I was not at the gathering on the beach and cannot comment on what, if any, entry requirements there were. There are a number of different groups who go to Normandy from re-enactment groups who put a lot of effort into looking 100% correct to others like the NOBS who are very relaxed and make very few demands about what is required. Whilst I ride WD bikes I class myself as a motorcyclist and not a re-enactor and choose not to wear a uniform and therefore I do not attend events where dress requirements stipulate this. We should all do what we feel comfortable doing and respect the wishes of others in the events we attend. The most important thing is that we all agree it is about those who fought and died and saved the civilised world so that we have the freedom to make choices.

For those of you travelling to Normandy this year we are holding a gathering of WD Allied Motorcycles at the Pegasus Bridge Museum on the afternoon of 5th June. No Axis, post WW2 or civilian motorcycles will be permitted entry. Please make sure you DO NOT arrive before 13.15 as they are holding a ceremony before this time. We have very kind permission of the Curator to park our motorcycles on the grass between the rear of the museum and the original Pegasus Bridge.

I agree entirely with your sentiments regarding a clearly flagged and organised event...It seems entirely reasonable to me that the organiser of any event should have the final say when it comes to the criteria that determine who will be accepted to take part...Particularly so in the case of a 'closed' event...

As you are aware I wasn't in Normandy this time round but have the impression the gathering on the beach was essentially an open event..A different situation to that at Pegasus if that was the case...

It may be I have that wrong but if it was just a group of like minded people gathered together in a public place and not under the umbrella of some kind of organisation then any level of control would be impossible and a more open minded view must be employed....

I personally have no axe to grind in this case but, for discussion, I am only expressing my own view of both sides of the argument based on the original posting and the response to it...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I just wanted to say, two things, firstly riding whatever your comfortable with is fine by me, but if it was and organised WW2 WD machine only event ( which it wasn't ) then I could see why it was a problem, but it wasn't, so fair play for taking part.

Secondly however, a small group of WW2 military bike riders.........on the 2nd of June , there was 126 WW2 Harley Davidsons all together, on the 5th June, there was 60+ bikes for the Don Fife run, and on the 6th June Pegasus Bridge, 80+ bikes, I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'd say this was more than just a small group of WW2 military bikes personnel.

Ross W

Nieuwe pagina 1