Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Royal Enfield Flying Flea Frame number

Hi all,

I have a wartime Flying Flea frame that is not stamped or marked anywhere on the frame. It’s been correctly confirmed as a wartime frame and it has been suggested that is is potentially a spare frame to replace broken frames. I’m trying to register it with the DVLA so I can get my flea on the road. I have a post war engine that has a post war frame number on. All I want is an age related plate and the ability to ride my bike legally on the road. Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Many thanks,

Graham

email (option): gjgf1@live.co.uk

Re: Royal Enfield Flying Flea Frame number

You will need an Owner's Club dating letter. There is a good chance that DVLA will issue and require the stamping of a 17 digit VIN number. An age-related number, subject to the REOC dating certificate will be based on the newest major component but this should not make any practical difference.

DO NOT engage with the DVLA until you have studied and understood the implications of the latest registration criteria for your type of application...

Original numbers, Age Related numbers and 'Q' plates are all subject to a set of recently altered rules and you have to ensure that what you are presenting meets the criteria that the DVLA require...
Note that Q plates can only be removed within the first 12 months after they have been applied and then only if you can come up with documentary/historical evidence to justify the removal...After 12 months they become permanent and cannot be removed...I only mention this to illustrate that you must avoid blundering in with the wrong/unsuitable information..If you do the Q plate might be the result...

A request for registration with the issue of an age related number has a reasonably clear list of requirements...You can find this on line under 'registering an old vehicle'....Also check with an authorised club if you are unsure before making the application...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Good advice from Ian. There is no doubt that a decent Club Officer on your side is a major plus point and should help guide you.

DVLA insist that the rules haven't changed but it is clear that there have been major changes in application and interpretation. They also seem to have gone over to a computerised yes / no situation so any wrong box ticked means automatic rejection.

Hello, I have registered a few bikes, the last was my 1942 Welbike (easier to ensure, plus helps with the odd road test). I employed the service of a chap who did all the paperwork. It cost me about £90. Didn't have to join a club, he did everything.
If you need his number pm me and I'll call him to ensure its ok to pass on his number etc
Thanks
KR

email (option): H.rimell@btinternet.com

I echo those comments. Beware entering into correspondence with the DVLA without first ensuring you meet all the criteria. And then be prepared for DVLA foul-ups. A Dodge WC has so far taken about 9 months to not get registered......... Help from a third party may be a wise investment if you are unsure.

Nieuwe pagina 1