Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Four position switch

Hi

This is off topic but I am hoping someone can help, I just brought a 1932 Triumph WO and it has a four position switch, the H works the headlight with separate dip switch but I don't know what the C and L operate,I'm guessing the C could be for charge? any help is appreciated DSC_0383

Cheers

Barry

email (option): deadhorsesdontgetbackup@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Four position switch

Hi Barry. The 'C' is for charge 'L' is usually for pilot light and I think in those days it was for use as a parking light. If it's not wired up correctly, you will need to find an owners handbook (with wiring diagram) or maybe loiter around a Vincent or Velo owners forum. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron

Thanks for that, I assume you need to have it on C while running to charge the battery?

Cheers Barry

It's sort of the opposite Barry. When you run without lights on, you switch to 'C' which reduces the charge to the battery by half. It's to avoid overcharging the battery, before the days of proper regulators. A common practice nowadays is to convert your 3 brush dynamo to a 2 brush and fit a modern electronic regulator hidden away somewhere. I always recommend. http://dynamoregulators.com/dvr2.php Ron:+1:

Thanks for the info I will get a regulator ordered, how do you convert a 3 brush to a 2 brush. Does it make any difference that the bike still has an old style chloride battery in the rubber/plastic casing on

Cheers Barry

If it's that original, with it's 3 brush dynamo etc then it looks like you have an unmolested motorcycle from the early thirties. If I had it I wouldn't modernise it at all, just try and keep it as is. There's not many left like that! Some sources quote only 1100 made. After all it was in the middle of the depression era.

It's quite simple If you want to convert it? Which I have done on a couple of Miller dynamos. You remove the obvious third brush and it's holder (if you want) and the cutout (if fitted) which is often mounted to the side of the dynamo. There should be two wires! one from the field winding 'F' and one from one of the two brushes 'D'. These are wired to the corresponding terminals on the regulator F.A.D.E. A= ammeter E= earth.
Some useful stuff here too. http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/2-brush-dynamo-conversions.php

Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1