Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ELECTRIC ADVICE

Hi
Later in year will be going to a BSA Rally, having to circumvent Doncaster, Nottingham and Leicester.

a few days ago i was trying to connect a Garmin Nuvi Sat Nav 2595 to the M20 to help navigate around the above mentioned places.

BSA WD M20
6 Volt System
Negative Earth
Electronic Regulator
Battery reading 6.34 volts (not been out for a few days)
Dynamo, Lucas Long type.

I used a car accessory socket and connected it to live and earth.

Plugged in the Gamin Sat Nav lead into the accessory socket and connected to sat nav.

The sat Nav fired up and connected to the satellites and was able to enter destinations.

Without the engine running and just using the battery power, it eventually blew a 13 amp in line fuse I had put between the Nav and the Live connection.

Can someone explain in laymans terms what I need to do to get this to work safely.

The garmin lead states, output 4.9 - 5.25 Volt DC 1.0a. input 10 -30v, 1A max.

(I do have a Map!)

Anyone able to explain in simple terms, much appreciated

John B

Re: ELECTRIC ADVICE

I run a tomtom rider and have found it very helpful on longer trips and really useful to enter the camp as 'home' when in unfamiliar territory.

I have uprated the electrics to 12v. I measured the voltage at the terminals on the handlebar mounting bracket at 5.3V. So there is something in the mounting that drops the voltage. I guess yours is the same and it expects a 12V input. Sorry I can't be more helpful but maybe Garmin can advise. Good luck.

Will you be heading to the BSAOC International? If so it would be good to catch up. If you are skirting Nottingham you may well be paasing by my place.

Nieuwe pagina 1