Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Intermittent charging

Dear All

I seam to have an intermittent charging issue for the last 3 rides out. The bike starts first kick as usual and the amp meter tells me that the bike is charging fine. I take it for a short ride and when the bike warms up it then starts to show me a negative charge and the headlight starts struggling. It did this a few trips ago and I lost all lights on the bike even though I had a fully charged battery, I re-magnetized the dynamo after last trip but still the same issue today, works fine at the start and then fails during the ride.

Other points to note are.
Hong Kong it 32 degrees centigrade with 90% humidity at the minute.
I have noticed that the headlight dish gets hot to the touch, never noticed that before so not sure if its normal (or I'm getting paranoid).
I am running a DRD2 electronic regulator.
I installed a new interior to the Dynamo when I restored the bike 280 miles ago

Other that that the bike starts first kick hot or cold and runs like a dream. Any Ideas O wise ones.

Regards

Stuart

email (option): deepsea@vol.net

Re: Intermittent charging

What headlamp bulb are you using ? The standard 24/24w bulb doesn't warm things up very much...If you're using a higher wattage and 'daytime headlights' then the standard dynamo might well struggle to balance.

I have a standard bulb that has been installed since I restored the bike, this is just a recent problem that has arisen on the last 3 consecutive rides. My dynamo is a later model from 1950 so its slightly longer and should cope no problem as it has a higher wattage output. I will check the wiring inside the headlamp tomorrow to see if I have a short.

A slipping clutch in the magneto frequently causes this problem...Worn spring, worn clutch pressure plate or an incorrectly adjusted spring tensioner nut...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Dear Ian

Many thanks, I had the magneto overhauled by a company in Australia when I restored the bike as I initially had problems with hot starting. So I am hoping that will not be a problem, but I will do some research how to check and rectify these problems before I start to tear down the magneto, as I have no way to re-magnetize it.

Regards

Stuart

Stuart you wont have to completely dismantle the mag but you will have to remove it from the machine. The drive and clutch for the dynamo is behind the drive end cover (4 small BA countersunk screws) Ron
download

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Dear Ian & Ron

Many thanks that makes a lot of sense now, and yes would cause all the symptoms the bike is showing. I am planning on stripping the bike down soon so I can digitally scan all the components so I will order a spare clutch and spring and tackle this problem then.

Regards

Stuart

Remove the switch panel and check for loose or broken wires on both the switch and the headlamp reflector.
Also have a close look at the ammeter mounts .

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Dear Trevor

Great minds think alike, the first thing I did was the check the wires in the headlight and around the switch, but unfortunately the easy fix is not an option in this case. It looks like I will need to remove the magneto and replace the clutch and spring. The upside to all of this is that I am gaining more and more knowledge the longer I own the bike and that is priceless, its great that so many members are willing to jump in and share their wisdom.

Regards

Stuart

Nieuwe pagina 1