Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bsa combination levers - switches fitted

Hi

I recently picked up correct military light dippers & horn buttons for my early WM deluxe

They are finished in dull chrome & the dippers have the correct rounded end on the switches

I was happy until I discovered it seems the light dipper was deleted at some point leaving just the horn button mounted on the combination lever

Does anyone know when this might have occurred date wise or contract specific

My bike is an early March 1940 dispatch

Br

Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Bsa combination levers - switches fitted

My late December 1939 16H still had wiring in place for the dipswitch but I don't know how long it was continued with...If you decide not to fit the switch, please bear me in mind :wink:

hi Rik

The oldest riders manual I have contract C6654 - frames WM20 21,001 to 25,000 - contains a wiring diagram which includes dipper & horn switch

This is 1940 March to August production according to records

Job

From the list of DME Circulars

Immediate action

B.80 3/12/40 Substitution of separate horn push for combined horn push and dipper switch. All M/C's.

This is for upgrading machines already in use and it remains to be seen how immediate it really happened, but the date should be similar for new machines leaving the factory I would have thought?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi

Would anyone have in their paperwork collection riders manuals from the following contracts they could check on the wiring diagram for me to check inclusion or not of the handlebar dipper switch

C7287 - wm20 25001~ 42,000
C9892 - wm20 42116 ~ 42121 - 42201 ~ 44106
C9310 - wm20 44213 ~ 53212
Or indeed any contract up until mid 1941

Thanks for that rob

Best regards

Job

Hi John,

For as far as I can see, Royal Enfield used the dipper switch on every WD/C contract, and I have photographic evidence that they were still fitted to the last batch (the WD/C models with pannier frames). But the WD/CO that replaced the WD/C in March 1942 didn't have a dipper switch anymore...

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register(at)gmail.com

Hi John

Contract C7287 handbook shows a wiring diagram with a dipper switch.
Contract C9310 manual shows a wiring diagram without a dipper switch.
Contract C11101 handbook no diagram but it mentions the "spare" main bulb filament so that presumably means it doesn't dip.

This would indicate a change between WM20 42000 and 44213 but I somehow doubt its that simple?

Rob

Hi Rob,
My WM20 is from Contract no. C7287 and the Provisional Spare Parts List for that contract only lists a Lucas horn push (Lucas part no. 762173), no mention of a dip switch.

regards, Richard

Hi Richard

I'm not surprised, these books are only really a rough guide, quite often just a reprint with a different cover, I think the DME date is probably the most reliable for this part change.

Rob

Hi all

Finally on this, if the headlight dipper switch has been deleted as we see in time - does this mean the main light switch will have changed also - number of operating positions

Would a military switch have been fitted to an m20 deluxe - essentially a civilian motorcycle or would it be a different switch - a civilian switch if such exists

Many thanks

Job

Nieuwe pagina 1