Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Royal Enfield WD/C or CO engine?

I found this forum a couple of years ago and noticed that Jan was keeping a register of WD Enfields so I gave him the details of my WD/C and spare engine and he kindly gave me some background on both, although he was curious about the spare engine having an OHV barrel and head.
The crankcase stamping shows it to be a WD/C with the contract number C7182 and Jan has confirmed that the true engine number, I6012, is for a WD/C (SV) although the duplicate frame number appears to be a re-stamp.
Anyway, I’ve finally put the engine on the bench and looked at it closely (after 50 years under it) and wonder whether anyone has any thoughts on why it appears to be a mixture of SV and OHV and why:
1. The engine plates appear to have been professionally made in Duralumin, with lightening holes.
2. There is an additional small tapped hole in the timing gear cover which aligns with a cutout in the exhaust cam-follower housing.
3. The barrel oil feed outlet from the crankcase appears to be a banjo fitting rather than a compression union.
4. The oil filler cap is a screw fitting rather than a bayonet fitting.
5. The cam followers have rounded ends to suit push rods (suggesting it was actually used as an OHV engine).
I’ve attached some photos but can post more if it helps.
Thanks, Gary
PICT0890
PICT0904
PICT0893
PICT0902

email (option): gary903@btinternet.com

Re: Royal Enfield WD/C or CO engine?

I see it's a later 'C' engine with oil filter and I guess it's straight forward to fit an OHV top end and cam followers. A higher compression piston can also be used. I see also that it still has a 'C' lightweight gearbox. The drilled ally engine plates, suggest to me that the whole thing has been modified for trials/scrambling?

I'm intrigued about the tapped hole and cutaway in the exhaust cam follower housing. I wonder if it was for some form of extra lube with an oil gun?? The exhaust pipe port is also odd/modified? Interesting! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for your reply, Ron. Some interesting observations.
I've just taken the barrel off - the piston (size STD) has a curved skirt which is different to my SV piston. No circlips fitted.
Attached are some more photos including a better one of the exhaust pipe port.
Gary
PICT0915
PICT0916
PICT0917
PICT0918
PICT0919

The exhaust flange looks to me like off a BMC A/B series car exhaust?? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks again Ron,
Well it looks like I've got a bit of mongrel engine!
I may as well sell the barrel, head, piston and engine plates as I have no use for them as spares for my WD/C and I can no longer lift the whole lot as a unit. The rest can go back under the bench for another 50 years.....just in case.
Could anyone advise how I can identify precisely what barrel and head I have? It has the same nominal bore as my SV so I assume it's a 350cc but don't know whether it is for a CO, G etc.
Thanks, Gary

Hello Gary,

The WD/CO and Model G barrels are identical... :innocent:

Regards,
Jan

email (option): wd.register(at)gmail.com

Hello Jan,
Thanks for the info on the barrel, that's very useful.
Regards,
Gary

Nieuwe pagina 1