Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Post-war Army registration numbers

Sorry if this is too off topic but I'm researching some Royal Enfield riders who competed in the 1956 ISDT in Garmisch Partenkirchen in what was then W. Germany. There were a large number of Army team riders on various machines, the ones I'm interested in were 350 Enfield Bullets which I think may have been Works prepared as we have pictures of them at the Competition Shop. The numbers are all variants on the numbers found on the 2 Enfields which are 23 BS 61 and 23 BS 63. Does this help identify a location or unit?
Thanks and REgards,
Mark

Re: Post-war Army registration numbers

Hi Mark

I have only seem documents issued to old war surplus machines which started at the "Z" end of the althabet, all new equipment from when the new system came in in the late 1940s started at "A", and a lot of this documentation is still held by the RCT Museum at Deepcut, I understand they will search their records for a fee payable whether they find anything or not.

Rob

http://www.royallogisticcorps.co.uk/heritage/museum/museum-archives/

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Thanks Rob, that may be useful in future but at the moment it's a bit more detail than I need. I seem to recall that some owners have knowledge of post war service of their machines and I wondered if the number rang any bells. It's interesting that these bikes were obviously prepared by the Factory for the ISDT then given service registration numbers, presumably as part of an Army motorcycle club. Enfield's own despatch records aren't very helpful about identifying Works or other Competition machines. For instance 2 of the Factory entered bikes are listed either side of an undetailed machine that was then sold 2 years later to a Factory employee. So is it the third team machine? Anyway, I've wasted too much of your time! Thanks again,
REgards, Mark

Hi Mark

Its not a waste of time, Lex may have what you need in his collection of post war keycards or Jan may have found something in his Royal Enfield research yet?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

No, sorry, can't help you with these post war motorcycles I'm afraid...
Jan

email (option): wd.register(at)gmail.com

Thanks Rob and Jan,
REgards, Mark

Nieuwe pagina 1