Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pegasus Memorial Museum

I see this notice on facebook. Is anyone on here involved with the event at 1pm on the 5th ??

Richard

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Re: Pegasus Memorial Museum

Hi Richard
Thanks for the info, I wasn't either aware of this event, so I'll go. Still strange nobody seems to know anything about it. Where do these DR's and bikes come from ?

Other specific DR events I'm aware of, and according to the official DDay 2019 guide (link below):

1/ Sunday 2 June, at Ste-Mére-Eglise, a Harley WLA WLC/Indian run starting 9.30AM then back to Ste-Mére and exhibition in the afternoon (Approx. 100 motorbikes, british despatch motorbikes not accepted for the run)
2/ Saturday 8 june, at Vierville-sur-mer, from noon to 4PM, a parade by the coast followed by a static exhibition of 200 military motorbikes . I haven't either any info on this event

http://bayeux-bessin-tourisme.com/en/files/2018/11/Dday_Festival_Normandy_BAT-1.pdfhttp://

This gathering has been arranged by me following a request to the curator of the museum and all WD WW2 Allied motorcycles are welcome. Unfortunately this year we have been unable to arrange another Guinness World Record attempt because we are unable to get consent from the French authorities to close a road and this is now a firm condition required by the GWR. As an alternative we have simply arranged a gathering of motorcycles at the Pegasus museum and we have been given kind permission to park our bikes at the rear of the museum between the building and the original bridge. Please all note that this gathering is for all Allied WD machines that served during WW2 and only bikes that appear in Orchard and Madden will be permitted entry. Despite what the note says from the museum I would request that you do not arrive before. 1.15 pm. We will have marshals in place to direct you as you arrive. Hope to see you all in Normandy. Cheers John

It says 80 bikes in the Burb John. Is this firm or just an estimate? It could be a much higher number? I guess the whole area will be screaming busy. Do we know of the arrival of dignitaries and any times of possible closures to the approach roads? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The airborne drop is due in the afternoon at Ranville. Its been moved a little further south of the village to DZ-K Sannerville not DZ-N as it was 5 years ago. This may aleviate some of the traffic surrounding the bridge but its still going to be busy I guess. Remember last time we were held up for 2 hours or so while 'Charles & Camilla dropped in' to visit.

Ron, the number is just a guesstimate but I appreciate it could be more. I would recommend that on 5th the best way to get there will be over the lock gate bridge at the port close to the ferry. This will save you battling with the traffic over Pegasus Bridge. The road then runs parallel to the canal and then comes out at the roundabout close to the museum.

Interesting information on the DZ for the parachute drop. I assume there has been written confirmation of this?

JT

John this is repeated from the "D Day Calendar" thread.

Our usual route from Etreham is through the country, away from the horrible coast road and arriving at Pegasus via Douvres. If the approach to the bridge is barred? We then have the option of shooting up to Oisteram, over the lock and down the other side of the canal. But on the 70th anniversary the approach to the bridge was shut from both sides, as Charles and Camilla were in attendance.

Our last option then is for French speaking riders to try and talk our way through??? Ron

Ron, surely last option on a motorcycle is simply to go across country from one field to another. Just need a Bailey Bridge which you must surely have in your collection? JT

Well you know me John. I don't give in easily. But I'll draw the line at paddling across the Canal De Caen! Ron

richard and I rode down the towpath, and found our way out , so where thers a will theres a way

email (option): warbikesatgmail.com you need to think about this address

I thought it was " Where there's a will, there's a relative" Ron

Its funny isn't it, 75 years on and the Brits are STILL having problems getting over the Orne! Crazy, I know, but Gliders?

Ron in my case wheres there is a will there is a new bike lol, see you in Normandy we arrive at the imps site on the 3rd , so will track you down , andrew

email (option): warbikesatgmail.com you need to think about this address

Where are the IMPS staying?? Where are the NOBS staying ?

The NOBS are staying in a camp site at St Aubin, unfortunately we do not have our usual camping field by the church in St Aubin. JT

Nieuwe pagina 1