Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Larger section rear tyre ??

Hi All..anyone got experience of fitting a 4.00 section rear tyre rather than the 3.50? Will it fit without rubbing anywhwere? I have a new 4.00 x19 for some reason and wondered about using it as a spare.All help appreciated.

Re: Larger section rear tyre ??

It does mean less travel back and forwards with the rear wheel and less chain adjustment, which I remember caused a lot of problems for a chap in Normandy running a 400-19 some years ago when his chain broke, but as long as you are carrying spare half links and your machine is well maintained that shouldn't be an issue.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

I've got a 3.75 on the rear of my Norton and it just fits, I don't think I'd get a 4.00 in there.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Ian Had them on his M20 for a while, No doubt he will chip in. But I remember that he had to let the tyre down to get the wheel on or off and squeeze the tyre past the mudguard. He's since mentioned that the bike didn't handle that well either.

I've also got a nearly new 400x19 if anyone wants it. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

As Ron notes the rear tyre had to be deflated to get it in or out. Clearance behind the chain guard etc. can be an issue if the wheel is out of line at all...

I fitted the same size to the front and it was that which, in my opinion, made the bike handle like a barge...very sluggish...

They looked nice but on balance I'd say not a good idea and it didn't take too long for me to replace them with 350s at both ends...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

OK guys ..I will be guided by your experiences...Anyone want a NOS unused 4.00 x 19 tyre????:scream:

Nieuwe pagina 1