Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
JAMES Ml saddle spring

Hi All.

Can anyone help me with the dimensions of the saddle spring for my JAMES Ml, and how the two springs are mounted on the frame.
Drawings/Images with measurement on would be preferable.

Hope you can help. Thanks
From Anders Nielsen 🇩🇰

email (option): affe@godmail.dk

Re: JAMES Ml saddle spring

My springs are 4" long x 7/32" (5.5mm) wire. Ron
DSCF1532
DSCF1534
Maybe they should be longer with shorter studs?
James

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron, what is the actual diameter of the spring?

It's 2" Anders. Ron

Anders, the James ML (and the Royal Enfield WD/RE) use identical rear saddle springs. They are both of "barrel" shape (wider in the middle) and when new measure 4 and 1/4 inch tall and 2 and 1/8ths inch wide at the centre. They are listed in the WD parts list as a Lycette item, being part number MT1/LT/13. However, I suspect that these are similar, if not identical to the Terry's and "universal" type WD saddle springs as fitted late-war to many other bikes (eg - Matchless G3L, etc)........

They are mounted to the bike frame by a 5/16ths x 3 inch long bolt (set screw) which is threaded right up to the bolt head. These are inserted into the spring and then secured by a nut. Two further nuts are fitted to each bolt to secure them to the rear frame mounting lugs. Four plain washers and two shakeproof washers are also listed........

The original saddle frame and cover fitted to both the James ML and WD/RE was made by Mansfield. It is quite distinctive in pattern, having a small vertical front attachment bracket and a pair of stepped brackets at the rear to attach the mounting springs. These brackets have a pair of holes in each to vary the spring mounting position, one set being used for the ML and the other for the WD/RE. The top of the saddle has a small plate at the front to mount the mattress springs, there being 9 in total. Pattern small saddles today are acceptable but not quite right in measurements for either the ML or WD/RE but can be modified with a bit of work...............

Good job you posted those dimensions Steve. I have an exact pair of those springs in stock which are now destined for my ML. Ron:relaxed:
DSCF1535

Those are the ones Ron !!!!!! Look a fairly universal pattern to me......?

Yep! Same as the later type on an M20.....Which is why I saved them originally. I'll measure the wire thickness with a vernier tomorrow. Ron:+1:

Thanks Steve and Ron. it was exactly that kind of information I was looking for.

And I can confirm that the wire thickness is still 7/32" (5.5mm) Ron

There's a thing! I've tried to fit the barrel shaped springs but will have great difficulty getting the head of the 3" bolt/set though the spring coils?? Ron

The bolts are 5/16ths Ron.........I fitted a pair the other day to another ML using NOS springs.......the bolts were easy enough to drop in from one end of the spring to pass down through the hole at the other end.........if there's any struggle, simply insert a crowbar or flat bar in one of the end coils and prise the coils gently apart to pass the bolt through..............

Yes I have the 3" x 5/16" bolts Steve and will seriously have to price the coils open to get the hex heads in. Obviously there are different springs. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1