Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WD Bike tool kit or pannier straps.

Whilst tidying I have found pair of interesting straps and I wonder if anyone can help me identify them please.

They are in tan leather about 9" long excluding the buckle at one end,the other end is pointed. The strap passes through a slotted leather rectangle about 2" x 2 1/2"
They are stamped MC 7874 although the "8" is not absolutely clear. The straps are similar to the MC 7737 strap which I have seen but shorter.

Can anyone tell me if these items are particular to any one bike tool kit or if they are a generic WD bike strap.

email (option): dbelcher1949@hotmail.co.uk

Re: WD Bike tool kit or pannier straps.

Does "MC" stand for Motor Cycle or is it just a part number?

There are numerous different straps in leather and webbing, different lengths and widths, even different buckles, most don't seem to have a specific purpose, they were available to strap anything to anything.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

i would say so yes.

I've had a look at the 1943 VAOS LV6-MT1 publication covering miscellaneous stores and there are indeed dozens of different "Straps Securing " listed.
These mainly have a five number part number having only the MT1 prefix,only a few have a listed specific use.
Among them are a couple listed with an additional MV prefix which are listed as being for the attachment of rifles to vehicles. These are prefixed "MV" in both cases. In the same book there is also a map case specified for motor cycles with an MC prefix.

Is there then a series of straps listed somewhere else with an MV prefix,specific to motor vehicles just as there might be straps with a MC prefix intended for a particular motor cycle application.

Does MC/7874 appear in any bike parts lists ?

As a matter of interest,in the oil can section, the Wesco 1/4 pint folding spout oil can is listed as MT1/19627 and specified for mechanics tool chests.

The only strap listed with the early Norton scales of equipment is the 42" type - originally leather and then changed to webbing.

Straps, leather with buckle (1" x 42")- LV7.MT1/13845

Straps, webbing, green (with buckle ) 1in x 42in - LV6.MT1/13845

The pre-war list is from 1937 and all tools and equipment are shown under the LV7 category - I don't know if this was a misprint or the system changed.

The 1940 Norton toolkit listings show the ¼ pint Wesco folding can as LV6.MT1/32798. Is your LV6 list illustrated ?

Thanks Rik,

Your Norton strap is still listed in leather in August 1943.

The 1943 edition does not show however the Wesco can 32798. The closest numbers are LV6-MT1 32797 and 32799. Respectively Wesco 1/2 pint with flexible connection,copper in colour for "vane type hydraulic shock absorbers "and Wesco 1/2 pint,grey colour for filling "piston type shock absorbers"
There is a picture of the 1/2 pint cans and they are both the same can and spout, quite an upright model.
There is a picture also of the folding spout can said to supersede the flatter 1/2 pint can.

This may help the Wesco can people -can anyone shed any light on the straps for me please ?

I think that you'll be lucky, David. There is no published information and there is almost nobody interested. The cliché items such as Vokes filters and canvas grips that everybody knows all WD motorcycles 'have' to have fetch silly money but there is little inclination to research the details.

I have a pair of 1" x 30" leather straps stamped MC 3586 and I've never been able to find out what they're for either - they certainly aren't long enough to strap any reasonable load to the carrier.

Maybe these are Inter-war items used on flat-tankers ? Support straps for Triumph Model H fork springs or for holding the spare drive belt case ? Just possibly they were no longer in use on the type of machines that we deal with ?

You may well be right Rik !

There is no strap as the one you have listed under that number.
The only 30" straps are "Straps Securing"

Now about those "Grips,Leather for Motor Cycle". - " Units are to demand which make....................."

Here's an example of the shock-absorber filling 1/2 pint Wesco....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-WESCO-OILCAN/372706551980?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The odd thing is that despite the transfer, it is neither copper coloured/ plated, nor grey - It's that standard mustard yellow again.

Damper-1

Damper-2

Going back to the strap in the original post, I picked up a couple more recently, one still has a label, these are certainly pretty similar to the 42 inch later tool kit web straps but they are still the wrong length and I can't help but think the "MC" is a red herring.

Rob

strap

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

I think you're right Rob. I asked on another group and there were a number of examples used on artillery pieces etc...no possible connection to motorcycles, and for wartime use, there only seems to have been the standard 42".

The label refers to webbing type C and multi-purpose begins with an 'M'...

Nieuwe pagina 1