Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lifting a WM20 into a lorry

I haven't tried it yet so looking for ideas or experience if anyone has, I need to lift my WM20 into the back of my truck for France and wondering the best and safest way of doing it. Fitted a set7 in the back of the truck now which is basically a chain cargo lift.

Do I sling round the frame at the seat close to the centre of grav? would i bend the fuel tank doing that, sling from the wheels? the rear carrier, handlebars / headstock

Have hooked at cargo net options but they are very expensive so may use a thick tow strap that should spread the weight a little

Thanks

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Re: Lifting a WM20 into a lorry

Would winching it up a ramp be easier? Not sure if you have a crane on the truck to load/unload but if not a 12V winch at the front of the truck bed and a ramp or scaffold plank might do it more easily?

I managed to take my M21 to France in my Nissan X-Trail that way (although I had to remove the front wheel and replace it with a small roller to reduce the height).

Cheers,
Bernie

email (option): bernie.a.jones@gmail.com

I guess you have one of these Kit! In which case I would try a soft strop under the bike just to the rear of the gearbox and another one as far forward as you can at the front of the engine. Both strops inside the exhaust and foam pads to protect the oil/petrol tanks and other tinware.
Then with someone steadying the bike, do a trial lift to see how it's balanced. The strops would have to be adjusted in length so that the wheels reach the floor before the hook hits the '7 set' beam.

It must be possible! We're British don't you know! Good luck old boy! Ron
wrecker1

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I wonder how much height you have left under the hook of a No.7 set, judging by the lack of headroom in the back of a GMC and the height of the motorcycle there won't be much to play with?

Under the wheels would seem the safest pair of pickup points, really its no difference to the machine standing on the ground, but I imagine the big problem where ever you decide to hook on is the crush effect higher up the machine.

When I took my M20 to Norway in the back of Dennie Thompsons Matador about six of us just picked it up and rolled it in, I imagine there will be a potential crowd of volunteers in Normandy if you time it right.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

No idea what a No 7 is but general crane safety.
The lifting points must be above the center of gravity or you risk the vehicle toppling over out of the sling
So if it is the slung then the front will go under the lower fork links then up inside the uppers.
The rear lay the sling over the top rail in front of the seat then cross over under the seat go backwards around the downtube then up through the downtubes that go to the rear axel.
This assumes you have open slings.
Secured this way the bike can not slip out of the slings and then you adust them at the lifting hook for level & height.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Get the back wheels as low as you can this will reduce the height of the back of the truck then with a ramp you should get it in in have the bike in gear and slowly let the engine do the work not sitting on the seat mind.

Bikes used to be routinely craned onto ferries eg Isle of Man for the TT. I have had a quick search on-line but haven't found a picture yet but there must be some on the web somewhere.

Described on the back as Dover. The upper frame stops any crush problems but means you need an even greater distance between hook and floor level.

Rob

dover

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Thanks Guys

Ron, yes thats the type. I'll get some straps. Was thinking about getting a helicopter cargo net, ramps and a winch aren't an option at this stage, anyway appreciate the help, always good to ask.

Best, Kit

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

John Tinley sent me some pictures of bikes being loaded on a ship in cargo nets (Norton's in this shot). Absolutely no thought for the paintwork!:anguished: Ron
IMG-1361

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1