Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Helping trace my grandads DR years.

Hi guys, my grandad served as a DR at different times during the war, due to him dying rather young we never got to know stories or timelines. I’m hoping that you can help pinpoint some of the years/dates from these pictures, I believe both pictures are an M20, however one picture is almost gone sadly. If you could tell me what model or anything about the photos I would greatly appreciate it!
Max

https://www.flickr.com/gp/170651953@N02/sLGpXL

https://www.flickr.com/gp/170651953@N02/36Yv8K

email (option): Maxhood321@sky.com

Re: Helping trace my grandads DR years.

The first image is a Norton WD16H. It has the slightly later long gear indicator but still has a rear numberplate so probably mid 1940 production. Unfortunately, the first part of the WD serial number is missing.

32538878167-b7bcf30c14-o

He seems to have a formation sign on his sleeve but I can't identify it.

If you want to research his career, you really need his service records as a starting point. You'll need a copy of his death certificate which will also show his date of birth which is essential. If you know his service number, so much the better.

Once you have his records, you can tie this in with the war diaries for his unit.

Thanks Rik, if only the damage hadn’t been so bad!
It’s a mailed fist as he was with the 6th armoured division, 26th armoured brigade workshops. I have all his records however they don’t go into any details regarding his DR days. He was with the REME doing recovery work, however throughout the war he was used for dispatches when and as required.
Really appreciate the insight!
Max

This one didn't scan very well either. But it's an M20. Unusual to see the extra lights. Judging by the panniers and lack of front brake rod, must be a later period than the Norton. The guy next to him looks to have a black beret with Royal Tank Regiment cap badge? Ron
Scan-20190327-5

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Presumably he was RAOC prior to the formation of REME ?

The old 'Trux Models' site now preserved on WW2talk forum shows the War Establishment of an Armoured Division Workshop and the number of motorcycles they (in theory) had access to...of course workshops were skilled in obtaining extra vehicles so there may have been some unofficial machines.

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/workshops.23788/

'Despatch Rider' was a Royal Corps of Signals Trade and in general, others were referred to as 'motorcyclists' but of course if they were carrying a message, they became a despatch rider. The bikes were used for all forms of communications and for marshalling movements of the workshop vehicles.

Thanks Ron, I always wondered why he would need 3 headlights! Not sure I’ll ever know!
Would definitely make sense him being RTR with my grandad being attached with the REME.
We’ve always assumed from the tans both chaps have, that this pic is 42-45 either in North Africa or Italy.
Max

He was indeed Rik, he joined in 1940 and the earliest evidence we have of him on a bike is a letter from hospital in 1941 in which he writes of an accident resulting in a broken collar bone due to going over a pothole near Carlisle!
I’ll be sure to give the forum a read, really appreciate the link! I’m headed down the the NA next month so fingers crossed the diaries reveal something about his work.
Max

You may be lucky with the REME diaries. Sometimes they're quite detailed with records of all the vehicles that received attention etc...and obviously that can include their own.

If you have the time, it may be worth looking at the Div HQ diaries too as they can detail contact with / requests upon REME, either workshops or LADS.

Nieuwe pagina 1