Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Info on tankmarking please

my 1941 WM20 has a number very close to that 435####

I always wondered how the c number were calculated. is there a "formula"

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

With most motorcycle makes, the C numbers for each contract are calculated in order of frame numbers. I have learnt however that Velocette didn't bother to follow this procedure to the letter!

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

BSA's first wartime contract was all over the place, but the system did improve and from contract S1048 onwards, serials commencing C5115218, Frames WM20 81818, the two last digits corresponded. This would have been around May 1943.

Michiel, where did your tank come from ? I assume that it starts C4344*** ? I had hoped that we could reduce the choice to BEF formation signs but this bike must have been delivered later than August 1940. If it was in German hands, then Most likely ex-Greece. I've not heard of them bringing vehicles back from North Africa.

Do you mean this patch of paint , Rob?

IMG-6881

I don't know how German field grey exactly looks like but could well be as it is most likely a captured bike.

Rik, this tank comes from a bike which was on the forum a few months ago. In that thread you also suggested it could be captured in Greece.

DSCN3555

Collected near Chemnitz close to the Tsjech border.

C number is C4344630, I calculated WM20-28038, [Cas, you need the list in the back of the book of Orchard & Madden]

I just ordered the book with formation badges of Howard Cole but any suggestions about that red square would be great!

Thanks, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1