Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Signal Corp marking

Further to Rob's comment on the W/NG thread, and not to log jam that thread. Here is a Guy I knew. He's Signalman Tom Hoy, who was the father of my ex business partner Steve Hoy. Unfortunately they are both departed now, so I can't ask questions.

But from memory, Tom told me that he joined up in 1939 at the age of 39 (Victorian then) I guess he would have been to old for front line service. I know he was based at Deal in Kent, so AA seems appropriate. He also told me that the colour of the circle patch on his tank was white over blue.

The photo is one of a series of promotional shots. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Signal Corp marking

Image link did not work but that is interesting.
My B40GA has an 2nd AIF patch of a square, white over blue with red numbers which was also Signals.
We must have inherited that combination from the UK.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

OK Trevor. I can see the image, but my usual image host was down this morning, so I tried a different one.
Back with the normal one here. Ron

Signalman-Tom-Hoy

Super picture Ron, vehicle markings for Anti Aircraft Command have always been difficult to work out, I used to own a Morris C8 predictor carrying truck and I never did get the markings correct on that. It appears that much of the command was semi-static, if the guns or searchlights had to be moved then large vehicles were sent from higher up the command structure, but motorcycles were probably issued right down to a Sergeant in charge of an individual search light in a field. And then Operational Command was under RAF control inside Fighter Command control rooms so its difficult to see who controlled the signals there?

But it does seems odd to have an Arm of Service marking without a number on it despite all that.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

I'm not very keen on Ron's abbreviation. R. Sigs or Royal Signals are acceptable..but they were a 'Royal Corps' from the time they were founded in 1920 :-)

AA Command are indeed a devil to research and don't appear in the early-war Home Forces listings. As Rob suggests, the interaction between RAF and Army may have meant that they were outside of the norm.

I'm not sure that they'd have needed an arm of service serial, as they weren't working within any Corps, Divisional or Brigade structure. Their formation sign and a blue / white sign was enough...I can find no reference to any use of a a panel other than square in Army documents....somewhere there must be the 'Rosetta Stone' of Ack-Ack markings.

A lovely image Ron. The G3L is a very early example - note the lack of pannier frames and the tabs to attach such on the rear carrier. Also note the ribbed front mudguard, lack of a front-stand and that the rear frame is the early type with the "sandwiched" plates inserted into the frame tubes where the rear wheel spindle attaches, rather than the cast lugs..........

Have a wade through this then Rik. 'The Wire' for the whole of 1940. Ron

https://www.royalsignalsmuseum.co.uk/wp-content/wire/Wire1940.pdf

I even found a picture of a Chief with a census number near to the Chief I restored this year for Tim. So this one is also one of the 300+ ex French CAV's that were reallocated to UK after the fall of Paris. Ron

Cheif

DSCF1124

Nieuwe pagina 1