Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Petcock

I think the convention is to have the left side tap as the reserve. Something to do with being able to keep a hand on the twistgrip. On the M20 it probably has the advantage that the left hand tap is more accessible as the carb and cables are not in the way. These assuming bike is still moving while you are opening the reserve tap.

Ron, not sure that there is even a pint on the other side of that tunnel.
I had forgotten what side of the tank I had fitted the reserve petcock and was running on the reserve for the main tank, ran out of fuel, switched over to what I thought was reserve then ran out again 2 or 3 kms further on.

Matt I don't think there should be any difference in the taps. But if you had fitted a main tap with the higher pick up tube, but you were running on your reserve tap. I expect the level would have dropped below the tube of the main tap.

I'm sure it's written in the drivers hand book, which I'll have to read up on.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Civilian tanks have one tap with a joining pipe that connects the two sides of the tank together...To remove the tank it must first be drained before the joining pipe and retaining bolts are removed and the tank can be taken off...

Military tanks have two taps and no joining pipe so that draining the tank before removing it becomes unnecessary...

The two sides of the tank are in effect joined together by the petrol pipe...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I did previously mention the single (double action) tap and balance pipe earlier in this thread. All models WD Triumph and BSA WB30 retained that idea, which is a pain in the neck.

On the subject of two taps and a reserve. This is taken from one of my riders hand books. Ron
Scan-20190317

On a Norton 16H, there is 15 - 20 miles on the unused side of the fuel tank, depending on how much has been sloshed around.

The only BSA, as far as I'm aware that has to be ridden with both taps open for high-speed runs is the 750 Rocket 3 (along with the Triumph Trident), they can run lean and home pistons due to the restriction of a single tap..But they drop to about 20 mpg ridden hard.

The Ariel W/NG is another such bike with only one tap and balance pipe.:rage: Ron
Scan-140129-0001

All I can add is that my M20 with two plain taps will get you from Aylsham to Swanton Morley, about 15 miles , on a very dark night on reserve. I'm pleased to say
Richard

So 2 main taps is the way to go? (No reserve tap) , just to finish off what’s the thread size required? My 2 taps leak like a sieve!

email (option): neil.blount@hotmail.co.uk

Originally the taps on a WM20 were 1/8 BSP both ends, But lots have been changed now to the more common 1/4 BSP. Ron

I have got so fed up with leaky original tasp that I have changed ovefr to Bap taps on all my bikes. I get them in pairs (maoin and reserve). Admittedly a bit more fiddly to operate on the M20 due to the carb cables being right in front of them but a price worth paying for long term reliable taps.

Ditto...BAP taps are inexpensive and effective..I've used them for years. No good for rivet counters of course....:relaxed: ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1