Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Matchless G3L Sidestand

What is wrong with a simple side stand that you just flip forward with your heel before you get off the bike. I've never been able to work the silly Matchless stand easily. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I agree with Iain......remove that Sidevalve clunker from an M20 sidestand and replace with a Matchless!

Mine is fine i use it all the time yours will be bent that is why it is leaning over a long way they are very thin and if abused bend easy but when ok they work fine a side stand of a bsa is about the worst thing ever put on a motorcycle

Well a bent side stand is something I wouldn't tolerate!! Like footrests, gear levers, kickstarts etc which are so easy to straighten with a bit of heat. However I will admit that there is a bit of slop in the pivot hole on both my Matchless's, which could be addressed one day.

I still find with them being pulled back by the spring all the time very awkward and nonsensicle. Sidestands usually have a built in, over centre spring that either keep them up or down. Ron
G3L-135
Collection-056

Ron Pier
What is wrong with a simple side stand that you just flip forward with your heel before you get off the bike. I've never been able to work the silly Matchless stand easily. Ron
You are not alone Ron - I even bought a new sidestand, spring and pin from Russell Motors for my G3L years ago and after fitting it found it to be not very easy to use. Hence I either rely on the rear stand or better still a convenient wall, fence or lamp post to lean the bike up against.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

I think critisism of the BSA WD field stand is unfounded. It was purpose designed to keep the bike as upright as posible in adverse terain, with the minimum amount of weight leaning on it. A similar design was also adopted by Triumph and Ariel. I must admit, these stands are not best suited for ordinary road parking as they are liable to roll off if not left in gear, so the rear stand is best used on those ocasions.

The matchess however has a left over flimsy civilian thing with a bit of plate added on the foot. Ron

How did a discussion on poorly thought-out field stands get this far without mentioning Norton ? :thinking_face:

I agree broadly with Ron...though I use the field stand most of the time in preference to the rear stand...It's a clever design really, as being mounted so high up on the bike the weight is still exerted mainly via the wheels and not the foot of the stand...I leave mine in gear as and when required...

I must admit I have a laugh when I'm at vintage shows etc. (which are mainly on grass in my part of the world) as the owners of modern bikes help each other finding stones/bits of wood etc. to put under their side stands....

I consider the field stand eminently fit for purpose...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Rik
How did a discussion on poorly thought-out field stands get this far without mentioning Norton ? :thinking_face:
I've heard that people who foolishly use their Norton field stand on a hard surface, have had them go crashing to the ground.:confounded:

Of all the field stands I still prefer the Royal Enfield WD/CO over the rest. My Indian 'Jiffy' stands are also dead easy to use.

Ron

When they were using these bikes in the 40s they either stood up or fell over i think when you were in a war you would not be that bothered .if you want to see a poor side stand just look at a modern Ducati.

gents. I thank you all for your learned advice however it does seem to have gone off track a bit. Andy

email (option): phillip.campion@btinternet.com

like i said before it will be bent it should be behind the side of the frame when up A word of warning when you are using it when you put it down dont take your foot of it till the weight of the bike is on it if you do it will fly up and your bike will be on the floor

Does anyone have a picture of a G3L using the sidestand for reference. Thanks

There you go Andy...

flat,1000x1000,075,f

Regards,

Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Now….I wouldnt dare critisize this side stand....

I am sure there will be lots of responses to the above picture which may, be taken out of context of the subject matter. However I am great full for the picture which I feel should be studied in some detail to ensure the correct dimensions are ascertained.

Nieuwe pagina 1