Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton WD Model 18

My WD Model 18 is just about finished, ready to start the engine tomorrow, then get some miles on it ready for Normandy :relaxed:

This was the inspiration, a WD Model 18 left in Belgium in 1940

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Norton WD Model 18

Gorgeous bike. Congratulations!

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Great job mate. Look forward to seeing it in France.....Maybe you'll be able to keep up this time:smile: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Beautiful machine, I'm surprised you didn't go for the "cows udder" silencer like the Norton pictured with the Thompson mount?

And in the original picture is there some thing written on the 3rd Division marking?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

They might just be scratches? The M20 behind looks to have W C M ?
Ron

Ron Pier
Great job mate. Look forward to seeing it in France.....Maybe you'll be able to keep up this time:smile: Ron
I didn't want to be left behind now you've got your speedy Triumph :-)

Ron Pier
I didn't want to be left behind now you've got your speedy Triumph :-)

Rob Miller
Beautiful machine, I'm surprised you didn't go for the "cows udder" silencer like the Norton pictured with the Thompson mount?

And in the original picture is there some thing written on the 3rd Division marking?

Rob
I was going to do that originally Rob, but the Model 18 with the Tommy gun is a 1938 Civvie bike. After some more information and research (by Rik) it states in the factory records that 80 18WD's left the factory on the week ending 10th Sept 39. These were part of contract C3655 that were meant to be all WD16H's, but it seems Norton grabbed any engine they had in the store room and put them into the WD16H frames to make up this contract. There were 7 Model 50's and 21 16HK (which we think are 38 pattern engines with enclosed vale gear like a Big 4) and 133 WD16H. It seems that they may have used other civvie parts as well to use them up.

24955559-10214965730926049-4869078586985975982-o

The picture above at De Penne is more that likely one of these bikes. It's a WD16H frame with an OHV Norton engine, but a mixture of WD and civvie parts on it. I built my M18 as a contact C3655 bike, it's probably too correct compared to the parts bin specials Norton sent out :joy:

Ron Pier
They might just be scratches? The M20 behind looks to have W C M ?
Ron
I've zoomed in on a better picture and the BSA behind the Norton has the same 3rd Inf Div unit mark on the tank, there may be remnants of the C number underneath. The Norton has been burnt as the tyres and knee grips are gone, so the bikes are charred.

That's a gorgeous looking bike Dave! Well done!

Jan

email (option): wd.register(at)gmail.com

Thanks Jan, this bloke walking by was very pleased it started :joy:

Thanks Jan, this bloke walking by was very pleased it started :joy:

IMG-20190225-WA0010

A wonderfull bike, Horror.
Very well done.
This bike will last forever.

Thanks, I took it for a short ride to get it set up and it looked good in the Sun light.

Well done Dave! Was it a bit duanting without a back brake? Hopefully I'll pick up the brake rod tomorrow. Did you hire that bloke with his JAZZ hands? Ron

Thanks Ron, yes I really need it now. I kept stamping on the pedal but it wasn't stopping me :joy:

The locals are very enthusiastic around here and he obviously loved the bike :grinning:

Great bike and looks a superb restoration!

Does the OHV engine fit the standard 16H or did you need a different fueltank?

BR Michiel

The WD16H tank is flat on the bottom and the tank I had to fit this has a very large cut away under it. I was lucky I had it as it's even different to another OHV Norton rigid tank I've got, and it fits perfectly, it even has the pump mounts on the side of it. The engine rockerbox just misses the frame rear tank mount by about 2mm, so everything just fits.

I love the photo of your next-door neighbour celebrating the fact that he's not going to have hammering and hacksawing going on all night anymore - at least until the next project comes along :-)

I'll be tinkering with this and getting some miles on it, but the next project is already on the bench. Sorry it's not green or Norton, but it's about time my poor neglected Trident was stripped down and rebuilt. A very tired engine.

Nieuwe pagina 1