Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
8” headlight - rim securing method

Hi all

On my 1940 resto I am using an 8” headlight where the rim is secured with a screw type arrangement- not the later type “flat” clip retainer

When was this screw type fitting deleted in favour of the more common clip - I ask because my October 41 m20 ex irish army
Will have an 8” headlight fitted

So question is
Screw type fitting
Or
Clip retainer

Many thanks

Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: 8” headlight - rim securing method

As far as I know, the screw fastener for the 8" DU142 headlight was a WD thing and the clip was fitted to civvie bikes. When it changed to the smaller DU42 they just used the clip.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

The screw retainer was used as early as 1931 on MC140
It was used also on flat and domed glass Lucas car headlights

It was certainly used on the pre-war WD Morris-Commercial 8cwt and 15cwt trucks so was clearly known to them. A quick look at the Kidbrooke files of MEE tested machines shows that the initial 1935 Norton 16H test machine had the standard spring clip but C352877 had the screw fixing. This would have been delivered early in 1936. Presumably it allowed a small reduction in the spares inventory. If the WD didn't like the spring clip then they had apparently forgotten that by the time the DU42 came along !

The lens and rim would be a bit heavier on an 8" over a 6 1/2", maybe when you were off roading the vibration rattled it all loose with the bigger headlamp but not so much with the smaller one?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Thanks all

I think i’ll Retain the screw fitting for the 41 bike

Job

Found a photo of a 42 bike & the screw fitting was still
In place

Jo’b

Nortons too, John. Up to and including the last 8" headlamp contract C10217 - Delivered as far as I can see from October 1941 to April 1942. The spring clip seemed to arrive with the 6" headlamp.

Nieuwe pagina 1