Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lucas headlamp dash panels

Ok, I put this out on FB, but little response, who can name the type of bike(s) and year where these panels were fitted on.

They are chronologically sorted, I don't know 2 of them myself.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi##.net (think about this!)

Re: Lucas headlamp dash panels

That's quite a collection Lex, are they all in original paint?

The solid one No.6 from left, I had one of these and I came up with the theory it was for retro fitting a standard WD headlamp to a machine which still had the panel tank, possibly an early Matchless G3.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Rob, only the 4th from left is repainted, as it was very rusty.

Was your solid closed one a mustard greenish colour? then I have a picture of it!
Very possible your explanation! I cannot remember where I got it from, too long ago!

Thanks,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi••.net

Hi Lex

I think it was brown and a bit dented, I can't remember?

The press buttons are supposedly late war for various makes, was there one WD motorcycle late in the war that still had a centre mounted speedometer which could explain moving the button to the ammeter position so the rider could see it?

Rob

No I'm wrong, here is an M20 with a side mounted speedo and the button is in the ammeter panel.

Rob

Ok, this is the picture I have in the PC;

Only the G3WO has the centre cast speedo mount, and that panel could be that it was used for that!! will check!

Cheers,

Lex

Here are some others I've had in the past.

Rob

Image195

Image1

The 7th one from the left is James ML and I think the one to its right is too. But it has a screw instead of a rivet?

The ones with the button must all be for the economy measures when the ammeter was deleted and the switch was fitted under the saddle.
The one on the far right must be post war? MU42?

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Did the DU42 regain the ammeter and 4 position switch near the end of the war before the MU42 (domed glass) was introduced?

Rob

[' The ones with the button must all be for the economy measures when the ammeter was deleted and the switch was fitted under the saddle...']

Was this an economy measure or just an alternative system...?...Later models had the 'test' facility to check dynamo output so the ammeter became surplus at that point anyway... I'm not sure adding another switch and a new mounting bracket for the original light switch, along with changes to the wiring loom, would have been much of an economy...
I'd also have thought it was a bit late in the war for such economy measures to be introduced when production numbers were already being scaled back...Ian...

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, the change over switch was used in conjuction with the under saddle switch, with the "test" position, it was specified for a lot of the last WD contracts on several makes, but how many were actually installed is not clear, the surviving parts, many times not NOS, would indicate it was used on some scale.

But the main reason was to minimise the wires going to the headlamp, as they were chafing near the headstock, and 75% of the lighting problems came from that area, I have the 1944/1945 article somewhere, but must go through all the Green and Blue'ns of those years to find it!

So a different system, maybe to do with economy? well in a sense, as it gave many problems in the field, not so much on civvy bikes, that ran on normal roads, not like the muddy wartime circomstances.

Cheers,

Lex

Hi

Anyone here got a panel for an 8” headlight

I have a brass version - mid 30’s type for swap

It’s the type that had a resistor bracket riveted to it

Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

John , where did you find/buy the 8inch head light rim screw fitting you were talking about recently, I am looking for one for my 1940 impressed AJS twin port , I have a new chrome rim, and it has instruments in the tank so the headlight has no cut outs regards

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Hi Andrew

I got it recently in some swapping I did for stuff

I know you are looking for a set - so will continue to look out for you

Br

Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

I still have a couple of the headlamp screw kits.

John, have never been able to find any difference in panels for 6,5 and 8" lamps, in my opinion they are the same, will check the Lucas catalog, unless someone already did that?

Cheers, Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi••.net

Nieuwe pagina 1