The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bsa wm20 1941 - 276 Carb

Am not strong on carbs problems so help appreciated

The bike has been standing quite a few years

The threads on the carb body for the jet nut have corroded and i can no longer obtain a tight seal .

The body is stamped 276 GX /1A could i use another 276 carb body although the other numbers are different ?

Can any one advise which way to go on this , can the thread on the body be repaired or is it best just to obtain a brand new one ?

email (option): HISTRAY1940@AOL.COM

Re: Bsa wm20 1941 - 276 Carb

I've said it before! To the most part a 1" 276 is a 1" 276. The other numbers just relate to configuration of jets, slide, float bowl etc. Which can all be easily altered to suit an M20. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thank you Ron

To confirm , i can just get a replacement body and transfer my parts over and hopefully problem solved

If the thread for the big union nut at the bottom of the carb body is reasonable and the nut is tight, any leakage will probably be to do with float level or needle valve not seating. Ron

Yes it is the thread for the big union nut , the threads have corroded on the alloy body , the threads on the nut are very good .

I can get it to bite with out the fibre washer but once the thick new washer is placed in it is a no go , i think it is a right off

If any one can help with a carb body please get in touch ?

The Amal Carb Company (Burlen Fuel Systems) do make new bodies for these carbs. At the moment they appear to be out of stock but I suggest you call them and see how long re-stock may take. New carbs are always better than old ones!
REgards, Mark

Burlen will sell you a new Amal carb or any part for one.....But not the body. Ron

One thing is for sure, a new carb often makes a LOT of difference in a bikes behavior.

Thank you

Iam tying to locate a new one

As advised it will be the best option as it will be free of problems , at the moment the suppliers i have tried seem to be out of stock

Hitchcock's sell new Amal carbs and I get much better service from them
http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/Amal-Carburettors Ron

Hitchcocks currently have a range of 276s in stock. I don't know what size and whether flange or spigot but a random sample shows good availability. (I once bought a hideously rusty Triumph Thunderbird off a builder's lorry because it was fitted with a 276 and I needed one for my Golden Flash! £25 well spent and I think I've still got some Triumph bits left....)
REgards, Mark

Nieuwe pagina 1