Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thread size MO1 Lucas magneto contact points

HI
Could someone tell me what the thread size is for the Lucas MO1 Magneto screw in adjustable contact points.
Lucas part number 484098
Thanks
John B

Re: Thread size MO1 Lucas magneto contact points

I think, from memory, the thread is 3BA...
If the thread in the points block has gone you can use the fixed point from a K2F magneto as a replacement which is a bigger diameter...The block can then simply be drilled and tapped to suit...The K2F item is also a little bit longer so will also need to be shortened slightly...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian
Thanks for the info, the thread in the points block has stripped,
will try what you suggest.
Many thanks for the info
John B:smiley:

The road side bodge that generally works is to place a piece of fine copper wire in the hole then thread the points back in.
Continue to do this till the thread becomes firm then adjust the points and do the lock nut up.
The thread pulls because it is zinc and the points & locknut are steel so doing up the locknut up too tight pulls the points through the zinc & destroys the thread.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Hi,
I had a similar problem and being in darkest Scotland and not near any auto jumbles I repaired it by loctiting in a small flanged brass bush. When I came to re-tap the thread I was surprised when I found the thread to be Metric M3.5 x 0.6, both in the old burnt contact and on the new replacement from Draganfly. I had assumed it to be BA, but none of the BA taps were quite right. I am quite prepared to be proved wrong on this!

Mark

email (option): markp.laing@gmail.com

Mark L
Hi,
I had a similar problem and being in darkest Scotland and not near any auto jumbles I repaired it by loctiting in a small flanged brass bush. When I came to re-tap the thread I was surprised when I found the thread to be Metric M3.5 x 0.6, both in the old burnt contact and on the new replacement from Draganfly. I had assumed it to be BA, but none of the BA taps were quite right. I am quite prepared to be proved wrong on this!

Mark
Hi Mark
Thank's for the input about the thread size, I was also assuming it was "BA"
I thought the thread on the adjustable contact points was 43 threads per inch and 5BA?

is anyone able to confirm the correct size and thread.

I am contemplating going down Ians suggested route of tapping the hole out to take the larger K2F
Contact points

If I can find the right thread size of the original contacts, i may drill and plug the hole, then drill and tap it out to the original thread size.

Thanks
JohnB

Yes, the points does not seem to fit the BA range, like Mark I also measure them at M3.5 x 0.6.

Strangely the larger points I found, probably K2F then, looks to be 4BA.

BR. Michiel

Nieuwe pagina 1