Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fuel tap seals

Hi, my wm fuel taps have started to leak and when I stripped them the rubber seals were badly degraded so I purchased some cork seals.
Should I soak them in petrol or oil first or is it ok to fit them dry?
Thanks for any help guys, steve

email (option): Johnsonsteve386@gmail.com

Re: Fuel tap seals

What sort of taps ? Enots 'hexagON' ? They had cork originally.

If using cork, best to assemble them then drop the tap in a bowl of boiling water to help everything swell up.

The general rule for petcock corks is boil them or oil them. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Water & petrol do not mix so if you are using ethanol free petrol then boil them in water.
Just so long as the tank has petrol in it the petrol prevents them from drying out.
If you use E10 then they will need to be boiled in WD 40 or similar.
This will take a very long time.
You can also boil them in light machine oil which will take longer still.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Thanks guys, I should have said they are the push/pull type, I bought them new about two years ago from vintage replica so they haven't lasted long

They're meant to have corks in. It responds far better to being lightly nipped up. Does the body have the concentric raised rings that bite into the seal ? I fitted NOS Enots to my Norton about ten years ago and they're still fine.

Yes they have the rings in them, the taps are very well made so a shame they put rubber seals in them.
I will soak the cork ones and see how they go

Make sure by the way that you only use pure cork or if it's impregnated, only with Viton. The old nitrile rubber cork sheet that turns up at jumbles doesn't stand a chance even with 5% ethanol.

I got some pure cork washers about 20 years ago, and was told by a Brough Superior guru to soak them in castor oil and then fit them. They soaked over the winter, and have held up very well since, such that I haven't had to change them - and so I now do this for all my cork on-off push-pull taps.

Best wishes,

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

I use synthetic wine bottle corks, cut to size, with the central hole melted out with a hot wire. I have had these working with no leaks for over 12 years now. They don't need soaking in anything.

I got the cork seals from a stall at kempton park, it mainly sold Amal carb parts.has anyone tried his seals?sorry but forgot the stall name

Nieuwe pagina 1