The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Inner tube valve thread...

Thanks for the info.

I can get a carbon steel tap for £15 which may be adequate for tapping into brass...However, first it's going to be a trawl through the internet to try and find a better deal on a HSS item...

I have many, many taps and dies but I never quite seem to have them all...I've needed another unusual one in the last month...27 tpi ANF (for a Triumph oil pressure switch blanking plug)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I seem to remember a 32tpi among a load of taps and dies that I acquired off a mate. I'll look through them later when I get back from Kempton Park. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

As Ron explained already, I've made a pair of these nuts for my WD/C, and I used a 5/16 32TPI ME tap. A few tenths of a millimeter too large I admit, but nobody will ever notice... :innocent:

Jan

email (option): wd.register(at)gmail.com

hello all
isn't it this you are looking for??
https://www.tracytools.com/taps-and-dies/schrader-valve-taps

email (option): leger-arnaud@wanadoo.fr

.307! How did they come up with that size? 5.5 'thou' down on 5/16":confused: Ron

PS. Just checked through my 32 tpi taps. All I have is .45" 1/4" .22474" and another small 5 figure size that I can't read. Some strange sizes, obviously for special jobs by a precision engineering firm?? Ron

Wouldn't it be quite easy just to make a tap for that Ian?
5/16 silver steel, turn down and thread it male, grind 3 flutes into it and then cherry red heat to quench in oil.
I have done it many times to get an odd thread sorted and it works really well. A 55 degree point on a small hss tool is all that required for the screw cut.

Now it's not that I am frugal, I just like solving puzzles like that as an old friend says, if the sub is stuck on the bottom, failure is not an option.
Darren

email (option): D Wrudd at Lineone dot Net

Nieuwe pagina 1