Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: King Dick Adjustable Wrench (Resurrection)

A pointless exercise surely? dozens on ebay all the time, just as many in auto jumbles and virtually any boot sale will give up one or two.

I'll only buy WD marked ones to sell on.
The best adjustable spanner, was the Lucas girder style.Far better than a king dick [or a queen one in these days of gender sensitivity]

I'm stunned that someone has gone to so much trouble to make one of these. The main problem with them is you can't get them into most places on a bike. As Ian said the other type of adjustable is the easiest way to round off a nut as the jaws flex too much. But last Christmas my son said I've got to get you these adjustable spanners, they're brilliant. I thought ok then a good one might be handy. I must admit they are fantastic, they don't flex and grip the nut firmly. I'm now using them all the time as it fits the nut better than the correct spanner and holds the nut in awkward places. I've just put it on my vice handle to show you, it's smooth so nothing to hold it on but the grip, just brilliant.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Metric adjustable...?..Does that mean another will be needed for Imperial fasteners?...:laughing: ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Case hardening compound is I suppose more convenient than the old bucket of feathers.:wink:

Ian Wright
Metric adjustable...?..Does that mean another will be needed for Imperial fasteners?...:laughing: ...Ian
Yes Ian :grinning: you also don't need verniers any more, just use the adjustable to measure things :relaxed:

Horror
Is there a clever feature to those spanners that I can't see or are they just very good quality?

Just good quality. No sloppy play in the sliding jaw and it doesn't flex when using so it doesn't slip off the nut and damage it.

bahco adjustables are a higher quality, they use better steel and better machining than the cheap chinese ones, the modern bahco though heading the game today are still lower quality than the older bahco adjustables which will still fetch £30 for the 8 inch spanner after 20+ years.

the old fashioned adjustables made by a number of manufacturers have the advantage of a spring under the adjustment knob which takes up the slack, modern cheap ones have poor machining and also nothing to take up the slack in the adjuster, thus they can be the most dreadful of things, a good quality old adjustable of the small 4 to 6 inch variety made before the war can be had for around a pound or fifty pence at a car boot sale, look for a good pair of jaws and that it hasnt been overly abused in its use, the spring is in place and that when closed the jaws meet nicely without undue amounts of light visible through them when they are viewed sideways, a most useful tool if you find a good one.
the wartime finish marked tools are produced during the war for various uses and the machining and steel quality can be lower than expected, grease packed unused ones still turn up and may require deburring and a little fettling to use, the steel is also variable in quality, the prewar adjustables are usually a better quality or consistent quality of steel and finish. a little oil on the thread and the sliding parts and you have a good tool for general use where carrying many spanners is uneconomical, such as a toolbox on a motorcycle.

some people have the money and facilities to make up odd items for no reason other than a challenge and a bit of fun, it is uneconomical to reproduce these spanners, though as a small technical and fun project i can see the attraction of it for the person who made the video.

just to add, if anyone wants to go mad and pays the grand sum of ten pounds for a single spanner, i can request them by the box full to be dispatched on receival of funds! they are a common find.

Nieuwe pagina 1