Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Buy my M20?

Mike, which club have you used to authenticate ? It pains me to say it, but the more correct the club, the lower your chances of a successful outcome..DVLA now puts them under such pressure to justify their advice. Best bet is the VMCC. They have little knowledge of individual makes but are authorised for everything.

I don't know if DVLA keep a record of frame numbers from enquiries - quite possibly they do now, making multiple applications difficult.

Worst option is to find a replacement frame with a number that they don't have on their computer - preferably from a period that matches the engine.

If your frame has a number that doesn't match the 'G' reg. log book then it is irrelevant as far as DVLA is concerned. Regardless of whether the swap and 'economy with the truth' took place forty years ago.

Hi, I’m interested in the bike?

Would it be possible to have a chat?

Many thanks,

Martin

email (option): delaneycheryl@btconnect.com

OK Mike I can only give the benefit of what I've learnt from years of dealing with DVLC/DVLA. (I'm also one of the two vehicle inspectors on behalf of the Military Vehicle Trust verification officer, covering Dorset area)

If the frame number is genuine and legible (I presume XM20 for 1946) Then you need to send pictures/rubbings to the BSAOC or VMCC for a dating letter.(engine number also but it's not imperative) The fee will be accordingly if you're a member or not.

Add your dating letter to the required DVLA form V55/5 and their fee. I always back up my applications with scans/copies of any relevant litterateur/publication that might add any additional information. Pages from O&M for instance for WD bikes.

DVLA use an independent firm for inspections (SGS) which I'm led to believe are carried out at random at the ratio of about 1 in 10.....Or if they suspect something is amiss or don't understand something.

But it's nothing at all to worry about, if you have a mostly built up 1946 bike on the bench! It doesn't need to be MOT'd or even running. The inspector will be an ordinary working guy or gal and will probably know very little about your bike. They are just there to check numbers and that it looks like what you say it is and built mostly from original or period parts.....Which of course it will be. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hello Martin. Having now read the posts that have been generated I think I will have another go with the DVLA. If not successful then I will be in touch as you have registered interest first. Be a few weeks I think. Best wishes
Mike

email (option): paduanomike58@gmail.com

Hi Ron
Just had a look at form V55/5 which states at the top that incomplete forms are rejected and was wondering how anybody could fill this in for a machine built in 1946. It seems ridiculously specific and seems to require information nobody would have for an historic vehicle of any sort. I think I'm becoming paranoid about DVLA forms! Your advice most welcome and appreciated.

Mike there is also a guide to filling in form V55/5 which you should also download. Lots of the questions don't apply and I just leave them blank. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/734201/v355x5-how-to-fill-in-form-v55x5-to-register-a-used-vehicle-for-the-first-time.pdf

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I will have another go with the DVLA and let you know in a few weeks. Thanks to all of you for your advice.

Nieuwe pagina 1