Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Don Fife Memorial run 2019

The best access to all commemorations around June 6th is on a WW2 allied motorcycle wearing a DR/soldiers uniform. In 2014 I've experienced that everybody treats you like you're part of D-Day commemorations even if you don't what's exactly happening.
If you're there by car, arrange some bicycles you can bring, otherwise walking distances won't be only very long, but also time consuming.

Since 'online access' keeps on improving I would like to suggest that any events where our bikes are involved in Normandy next June will be published here on the forum. It's so nice to ride all together. Could that be an idea? You can join or stay where you are but you won't feel sorry afterwards.

Cheers, Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Hello Ron & Sven,

Thank you for all of the information, it's very helpful. We were fortunate enough to secure accommodations in Le Manoir which is about 4 miles east of Bayeux. It sounds like the best plan is for me to continue to monitor the forum and try to jump in whenever and wherever we can. I fully understand that we're all under the mercy of the weather, was it last year you guys got a good soaking on a run? Not fun! We're already counting down the days and are really looking forward to meeting you guys.

Cheers,
James

email (option): jamescusteau@yahoo.com

Le Manoir is just off the D12 which is on my preferred route to Pegasus through douvres la delivrande. Which is where we were absolutely soaked through this year. The coast road is very unsympathetic to our old rigid's and girders:disappointed: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

My 1942 BSA WDM20 is now in the final stage of restoration, and will be ready after thorough test riding by local volunteers. However, no guarantee that the 75 year old lady will perform without hiccups or worse... She will be all risk insured for € 6000 during the loan period, for a fee of some € 100, so that’s supportable.
However, I’m in no position to take care of the transport from my garage to Normandy and back, so I have to count on the help of the forum brotherhood. Any suggestions?
As for the lucky person to ride her: I prefer either an American or Canadian, because of my memories of May, 1945 when we were liberated by them....

Hi Hans,

I am not a WD motorcyclist but have been and still am riding other classic English motorcycles for quote some time know. I started riding when I was 20 years old on a 1955 500 cc. single Ajays. I am now 65 years old. Currently I ride, and I do mean real riding, a 1950 Triumph Speed Twin and a 1927 Triumph TT with another 3 prewar Triumphs on the way. I have known other enthusiastic,not to say fanatic, WD riders for quite some time now e.g. Lex Schmidt and Ruud Klaui. I have been thinking for some time in participating in the 2019 - 75 year D-day celebrations bit of course would need to be able to ride a WD bike. Ruud made me aware of your "request". I am afraid I am 100% Dutch and as such cannot make your wish for a British or Canadian rider come true. I will take good care of your bike and enjoy it to the full. As the trip really depends on having a bike I will not really start planning until I know one is available. Hope to hear from you soon and fully understand if you do prefer a Brit or Canadian in the saddle.
Kind regards
Hans

email (option): bangor@kpnmail.nl

Hello Hans, and the rest, I can truly vouch for Hans van Gorsel, I lent him a bike when his was broken down, a Triumph as I remember, no offence! in the Irish rally, and he insured my Matchless aswell, he's a great guy, and if he wishes to go to Normandy, and if he wants to ride a BSA, and it's not possible I might be persuaded to lend him my Matchless again!

Cheers,
Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi(XX).net (think about this!!)

Still one of the best re-enactment pictures from Don Fife, a couple of years ago, my very good friend Tibo, on his Norton 16H.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi(XX).net (think about this!!)

I am not arriving in France until the 3rd June but would like to visit this memorial, where is it exactly please?

Regards
Steve

Fresney-le-Puceux

Ron

Coordinates: 49 03 53.51 and 0 21 50.58

Hans WDM20 58764
Coordinates: 49 03 53.51 and 0 21 50.58
Hans
I make the coordinates 49 064879 and 0 364030, were you thinking of somewhere else?

Steve

When you use them like this you end up right in front of the capel. Just copy and paste them in your browser.

49.064889, -0.364028

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Well out of interest, I've put all three coordinates into Google maps.

Han's puts you a few meters down the lane from the chapel.

Henk's puts you a few meters up the lane from the chapel.

But Google maps doesn't seem to recognize Steve's?

Ron

Ron Pier
Well out of interest, I\\\'ve put all three coordinates into Google maps.

Han\\\'s puts you a few meters down the lane from the chapel.

Henk\\\'s puts you a few meters up the lane from the chapel.

But Google maps doesn\\\'t seem to recognize Steve\\\'s?

Ron
This is weird.
I put in Henks and its spot on with Hans in the middle of a nearby field, this is good however as if you space mine and put dots in, it is somewhere near Paris. :blush:

The address is Roc Martel, 14680 Fresney-le-Puceux, France, possibly?

If you do do the run on the 4th June I would be interested in joining you Ron.

Steve

We don't pin a date to visit the shrine so early. My idea is to contact the local government to arrange permission to renew the plaque. The location (there's only the shrine here, a little bit in the middle of nowhere so you can't miss it) is quite a distance away from the coast and where most of us are, so a dry tour would be much preferred. I will however do my best to communicate the exact date as soon as possible and it will be in this post.

Regards,

Sven

email (option): sn

Hans tried to make contact with the Mayor and the local Clergyman but got no reply. In the end, on the day, we got permission from the Mayors gardener......Good enough for us. In all the years, it's never been removed or defaced. Ron

Hello Ron,

I will make every effort possible to attend the Fife Memorial Run. My wife and I arrive in Paris at 7:00am on June 3rd. If the run is on the 3rd, we'll make a mad dash for Fresney le Puceux and hopefully get there in time to meet up with you guys.
Regards,
James

The trip from campsite and back is roughly 70 miles, lots of which is on lovely quiet country roads and as Sven suggests, is best done on a dry day, so probably 3rd or 4th dependent on the forecast near the time. Ron

Good afternoon Ron
I will be bring my Uncles BSA M20 andhave a couple of mates on Enfields. Our intention is to come for 10days have a ride around and hopefully meetup with you for a ride, so will keep an eye on this forum and where you intend to meet up?
We are going to camp a couple of years ago we came over and camped in a lovely Pear orchard which we will try and do again this year.
Regards
Paul

email (option): pauleastwood61@gmail.com

Paul I suggest you make your camping arrangements ASAP. I guess that everywhere will be filling up by now. Ron

Don Fife Memorial run 2019

Hi all,

The plaquette is finished. I've had it made out of durable alloy plate with the image and text laminated on.
The foil is weather and light resistant and I will try to use some layers of the plaquette that is currently installed in the shrine.

image_6546160 (1)

image_6546160

Not much to see but just wanted to share the progress

Regards,

Sven

Very nice Sven. I did send the nice photo of you and Hans taken this year to the family, they have seen it and are very appreciative. The first word I received from them was "Wow!"

Morning all,

On Tuesday the 4th of June the Don Fife Memorial ride has been scheduled. As we are staying all over Normandy Ron and I have agreed on meeting at 11 o'clock in the town centre of Tilly;

Knipsel

We will leave for Fresney-le-Puceux around 12 o'clock.

Looking forward to seeing you all!

Sven

Ok Sven and Ron I will be there on my M20 forthe run out . I am having a look around tosee what other rides out I can join ifyou have any ideas ?
regards
Paul Eastwood

email (option): pauleastwood61@gmail.com

Hi Ron & Sven,

I'll meet up with you guys in Tilly at 11:00 am. Looking forward to finally meeting you guys in person!

Best regards,
James

email (option): jamescusteau@yahoo.com

For those at Etreham or who want to join us there for the run. I'm planning to leave at 10 am.....After a brief riders meeting. It's about 35 miles each way on mostly quiet country roads. Ron

Sounds good Ron, Will be on the campsite from Monday morning will call round and see you also will pick the caps up.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1