The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: D Day 75th Anniversary - GWR & DR Tours

Hello all,

It has been quite some time since I have posted despite visiting this great website daily. With all of the wisdom and information here, it is difficult for me to add any more advice. The Mrs. and I have booked our trip to France to attend the 75th anniversary of D-Day. Unfortunately, I am not able to ship my motorcycle to France so that I can participate in all activities that are planned with all of you guys attending. I would however, love to meet up with all of you, perhaps in Etreham so that I can finally meet the "cast of characters" that have been so helpful with the restoration of my M20. I would ask that when information becomes available, someone could send me the information on where and when you guys will be. One of my absolutely must do's is to visit the shrine at Fresney le Puceux where Donald Fife's picture was taken. I had the privilege of presenting the plaque along with Sam Cormier to the Fife family in Nova Scotia seven years ago. I also plan to visit Juno Beach to see his plaque that was placed there thanks to the generous donations made by many of you.

Thanks to all!
James

email (option): jamescusteau@yahoo.com

James I think the best thing might be to visit the campsite at Etreham during an evening. So far I don't know of any actual plans for runs. Me and my group of friends go each year and we make the pilgrimage to Don's shrine about every other year. This year we met a local guy at the shrine who then rushed home to return on his BSA cafe racer and beer from his own mini brewery.....Great day!

The plaque that we helped Hans install inside the shrine some years ago, is still there but starting to fade a bit.....Hans will have to make another one.:ok_hand: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

....Unfortunately, I am not able to ship my motorcycle to France so that I can participate in all activities that are planned with all of you guys attending....

If I (and my friends...) can get her off the workbensh AND riding, you can use mine James! I still owe that to my friends at the other side of the Atlantic...
Hans

Hans,

I am overwhelmed with your thoughtfulness and generosity. This would fulfill a dream that I've had for quite some time. I had originally planned to ship my bike over there for the 70th anniversary, however having back surgery 2 weeks prior to the 6th made it impossible to do at that time. Regardless whether or not your bike can be there, I am planning to attend the trip over to the shrine. WOW!!

Best regards,
James

James, Tell that Cormier chap to get his arse into gear as well ! :grinning:

Hi Rik,

You must be clairvoyant, I planted that seed in his head a couple of weeks ago.:smiling_imp:His response was "Mmmm". You see, we enable each other all the time! I think that we need to start an online petition demanding his attendance. How could he say no? I know that it's the time of the year that he's the busiest. I'll work on him and do my best. For those that don't know me, which is all of you, I live my life by two sayings.

1) "If not now, when?"
2) "It's what you haven't done that will torment you the most."

To which I say, Now's the time, and I won't be tormented!!!

Regards,
James

Mmmm.:wink:

email (option): sam-cormier@hotmail.com

John O'Brien
Hi All

Lots of posts & discussions of late on the 2019 DDay 75th Anniversary - so I have started a separate post to allow a new line of thread

Having participated in and enjoyed 2 x GWR events and subsequent ride outs in 2009 and 2014 We would like to advise as follows

GWR A (Guinness World Record Attempt) 2019
After discussion with John Tinley - we have both agreed that with approval from Forum members, we would be prepared to arrange such an event in France in 2019 subject to the following
Suitable location identified & located
Assurance that French red tape does not preclude or make such a gathering difficult or make us personally liable for such an event

lots has changed in society and rules on gatherings in France in the intervening years since 2014 & we have to consider such before

we will be in France during Next month with this as a matter of priority to sort & fix and obtain local knowledge required

We have help available to us with the administration on this, booking form creation, bookings etc, but we will need some volunteer help closer to time and at the event with other tasks so we would ask if you are prepared to allocate some modest portion of your time to this - it would be most welcome

Henk has kindly agreed to place place forms required on the forum where they can be downloaded easily by all

Again, this is down to you the Forum members - if you want this to happen - we will work to deliver such an event that we can all look back on again with good memories of

Pleas let us know your views - our direction will be dictated by this

DR Ride outs
The ride outs in previous years have proven to be some of the real memorable times of the trips to Normandy - normally a day ride out to the
American sector - Utah & Omaha beaches and other stop offs
British/Canadian sector - normally a trip to Sword Beach area, Pegasus bridge, merville battery & Ranville cemetery

There is considerable work Involved in the lead up to this, the bookings & admin taking a lot of effort and personal time - I have a full time job like most of you

Bookings for campsites are not an option or within ability to organise - these need to be arranged individually

However today I am volunteering to organise such
I will look after bookings & required admin and during time in France this summer will map and confirm 2 x ride outs to cover both sectors mentioned to include some historical stop offs

Many of you will have done this before and do every year as part of your annual Normandy holiday - but many on the forum have not due to commitments on other years or suitable WD bikes not being available

If anyone is prepared to help / volunteer some of their time to help in the organisation of these 2 ride outs - please contact me - it can't be done by one person

Again it's down to the forum members to decide if they want such ride outs to take place

If you are Willing and able to help, please contact me directly to discuss

I will wait to hear the feedback from the forum and if there is a wish to make this happen

Best regards

John O'Brien
HelloGents
Very interesting reading the forum. I will be taking my M20 this year was thinking about riding it from York !
Would like to be included in any of the runs you go on and would be able to orginize one if you want.
Regards
Paul

email (option): pauleastwood61@gmail.com

Hello John and John,

Is there some news or more info abouth this?

Regards. Bram

Bram,

Have a look at the other recent posts about Normandy and you will see updates on what is happening. Unfortunately it has not been possible for us to arrange a GWR Record attempt this year because their rules now require the roads to be closed from all other traffic and we cannot do this. Instead we have been invited to have a gathering of motorcycles at the Pegasus Bridge Museum on 5th June at 1.15 pm and we will be parking in the area behind the museum on the grass area close to the original bridge. Please do not arrive before this time as they have a commemoration service before we arrive. The parachute drop is then at 4.30 pm which is close by. Cheers, John

Nieuwe pagina 1