Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Install of throttle and choke cable

Hi all

Today i want to install new throttle and choke cable on my amal 276. But since i bought the bike without these cables and a busted amal, i now have no example how to cables go in and lock into place. Can anyone help me with a picture or desciption?

Thanks in advance

Re: Install of throttle and choke cable

Maybe this will help. Ron
Scan_20180916

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks.

I have new cables. But the choke cable has a end with a notch. But the throttle cable had some small brass cilinders to put on the end. But if i look at your picture both cables should have the same end.

Yes the cable ends at the carb are the same but different free length to the inner cables. The 276 choke and throttle cables are pretty standard. The only difference is if your cabb top has screw adjusters or brass ferules.

I get mine from JJ Cables cableman7@hotmail.co.uk Ron

Do you by any chance have the inner and outer lenghts of both cables? Thanks in advance

Can't check on that for a while! Maybe someone will get to it first. Ron

If it's for an M20, outer cable lengths are listed in the technical section.

Those i did find but then it was still guessing for the inner lenght. But i also got those. Appearantly those measurements are states in the 1939 parts list

Hello, I was wondering if you could let me know the inner / outer throttle cable length. I did see the outer length on the forum page but I am having a problem with fitting mine and I have a feeling my inner cable is too short, ta

email (option): rwalsh53@gmail.com

Hello Ron,
I hope all is good with you.
I was just wondering if you know the inner / outer length for the throttle cable as I am having a problem due to having to change the twist grip
or you might steer me in the right direction

Ta
Rod

Result
And so having removed cable & measured inner & outer, it looks like I'm 10mm too short on inner. Now the hunt begins

Where to look, that's the question

Ta

Hello Rod. You can shorten the outer cable with care and patience. I've done it lots of times:-

Cut round the plastic at the end of the ferule with a Stanley blade and pull the ferule away. The outer cable is wound like a spring. Determine how much you want to remove and grab the end of the spring with small pair of side cutters and begin to unwind the spring. It's a bit fiddly till you get going. Cut it off with the side cutters as close to the main cable as poss and then dress up the tang that's left "carefully" with a Dremel/ Grinding wheel/ sander etc but don't nick the inner cable. Make sure enough plastic is removed from the outer and any inside the ferule and push it back on. Ron

Hi Ron,
Yes of course, I didn't think of that. Done before , but a long time ago ;-)
And as you say, smooth off with dremel, aren't they just wonderful.
I'll give it a go and let you know

All the best
Rod

John O'Brien just asked me to post this from the RAF parts list. I never thought to look! Ron

image0-002

That's good to have & thanks John

I did come across something similar while looking online earlier from the
Hitchcocks motorcycle site...

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/Throttle-Cable-Amal#

I'm not sure how to paste an image here, so that's the link to the site

This Rod:-
We have produced a range of throttle cables in various combinations of inner and outer lengths which should suit a wide range of motorcycles, not just for Amal carburettors. The cables are manufactured in England, have a nylon lined outer cable and have an in-line adjuster in the cable approximately 6” from the handlebar end with rubber covers.
Use the picture below to identify the cable you need. We have listed the total length of the outer cable and the length of free play (the free play is the amount the inner cable can move with the in-line adjuster at its minimum), the nipple size and the typical Amal carburettor that the cable is used with.
throttle-amal

Yep...

I managed to carefully nibble a bit off an old cable that I had and thanks to Dr. Dremel, such a fantastic device, all good to go 👍

These fit and I am using them.

https://pesltd.uk/?product=66-8899

https://pesltd.uk/?product=66-8882

Lengths are listed too.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Mark there is a slight problem with your website. When using the search box, It seems that unless you type in exactly how you have listed an item, it says " No result" For instance I typed in WM20 throttle cable. "No result"! This has happened to me on several occasions, even though I know you stock the part, I can't find them?? Ron

Sadly, it's only a one-word search engine. Or exact phrase.
I've asked for some simple Boolean to be added. (and or)
But the chap can't do it!
Free google pushes their own adverts
Advert free is too expensive.

Part numbers work.

I'll bully him again, there has to be a better way.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Nieuwe pagina 1