Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA M20 pillion seat.

Does any one know if this type of pillion seat was fitted to July-August 1944 M2Os,I think the remains of the number on the cover is the aution LOT number?

Re: BSA M20 pillion seat.

It looks like an Ariel W/NG saddle to me Steve. I had a small batch of covers made a few years back. Ron

Scan_140917_0002
Lady Mary Wortley Montagu poems

seats

20141028_134131_1

large_26

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Definitely used on the M20 as well. This pillion seat was replaced by a similar but shorter design at the end of the war.

Jan

email (option): wd.register(at)gmail.com

Same frame as the early M20 but I don't recall the front hump? BSA just shortened the saddle instead for the later bikes....I think. Ron

Definitely used on the M20 as well Ron, see picture below:

And here you can see the difference between the "early" long version on the right, and the "late war type" short version on the left. This short version was only fitted to the last contracts:

Jan

email (option): wd.register(at)gmail.com

Does anyone know where I can get a canvas seat cover for one of these?

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

i have a canvas seat cover for the short saddle, Ron

Hi Ron,

Do you still have a seat cover for the short pillion seat ?
Regards David.

email (option): louisemrobertson@msn.com

Sorry David. Kit had it. Ron

Ron...or anyone...
Do you have a seat cover or even just a pattern for the short seat cover ? I could have a go at making one !!
Mine is just bare springs at the moment !!
REichard

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

I am looking for a pillion seat frame if any one has one they would like to sell . For my 1943 WM20

email (option): wadeschields@gmail.com

See Jan's above! Ron

I'm after a long'un too, if anyone has one going. My WM21 is early 1940, but has pillion footrests (?) Am I correct in thinking that these Acumen seats were the only ones fitted to wartime BSAs?

email (option): cmmacd@hotmail.co.uk

The "Loaf" bum pad was also used. The Acumens are hard to find and expensive.....But as I said, Jan has them. Ron
Horn-new-003

Thanks for all those pictures! that is very handy.
see pics; Is this the small cover? or just a nondescript repro from some time ago?
I have one of these larger (earlier) ones so I would need a larger cover.
The springs are rather sloppy so would like to find another set.
But if those are not findable then no passengers!

W-NG-pillion-seat-4-kopie
W-NG-pillion-seat-5-kopie

how come this Poet website ?

Vincent I presume your Acumen is for an Ariel. In that case it will need to be modified. The scissor action was shortened and the spring mounts were moved forward (front hole of the two) and the dummy mudguard piece was also altered. It was Ariel's answer to avoiding the saddle coming into contact with the rear carrier.

See how the saddle sits higher. Ron

Acumen

my pics (and a few others) disappeared, or am I the only one who does not see them anymore ?

ah, they are back.... sorry folks , must be my pc taking a lockdown:grimacing:

All pictures showing for me! I expect the satellite over Holland went behind a cloud? :thinking_face: Ron

@Craig: If you have an original WM21 from 1940 it is likely that your BSA was originally destined for the Dutch Army. After the occupation of the Netherlands the remaining WM21's were bought by the War Department. The Dutch Army ordered the WM21 with pillion footrests but without the BSA pillion seat. The Dutch Army fitted German Gefrag pillionseats on the WM21's, these were far better than the BSA pillionseats.

The WM21's which were bought by the War Department didn't have a pillionseat fitted, only the standard early rear carrier.

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Hi Bastiaan. Thank you for that info about the Dutch contract frames. I was unsure if my subframe is correct. (rear footrests; no field stand lug).

My bike was part of the 1940 C7370 contract, which didn't make it to the Netherlands. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any record of where it was eventually deployed. I'm trying to keep it faithful to early 1940 spec, but will fit a British-type pillion seat (one of Jan's) to suit the rear pegs.

email (option): cmmacd@hotmail.co.uk

Hi Craig,

Your rear frame should have rear stand lugs, no field stand lug, 1 sidecar attachment on the left side and a fitment for a short propstand on the left side.

See the photo below of the type of rear frame which should be fitted to your WM21.

motorbike408648

Hereby 2 photo's of WM21's from your contract.

C4192169-former-Dutch-Army
London-Irish-motor-cycle-couriers-photographed-one-winter-during-the-period-1939-41

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Hi Ron,

This is what I get for being absent! I have about 30 riders seats of various models coming soon.

Photos to you in an email. Got any covers left? I will also need drivers seat covers as I
have 30-40 of those coming also.

Cheers.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Those beautifully made covers are long gone and the only guy I knew who could do them properly has seemingly gone off his chump:confused: Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1