The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: KM20 brake Rod

Sorry I am late to this conversation!

M23,22 and 24 girders are all the same length. They did not shorten them specially for the 24. The only difference is the reynolds tubing. I will run out today and get a scale so I can measure the difference in the blades. I am mocking up a KM24 frame now. When I tear it down I will get a weight on it as I am curious to know. I can tell you The 24 frame feels like picking up a bicycle frame compared to a JM frame!

Is it possible BSA had a stock of reynolds tubing already purchased for the next year and decided to use it up for the war effort??

Adam

If I had to postulate a theory it would be that BSA had a batch of race girders or tubes precut for race girders sitting in stock because the war was going to be over very shortly and civilian production was going to resume.
When it became apparent that this was not going to happen then BSA would have needed to use up these parts.
So a "special order" for the RAF using the lightweight frames would be in order as the RAF bikes were not likely to be running across battlefields at full speed fully laden while being shot at.
Then it would have been a case of we can supply XYZ bikes in 2 weeks if we can use these frames or in 10 weeks if built to the standard spec. And with the "spare" time we can pump out an extra 500 rifles or at least get the current order out before time.

There was a war on

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

The first KM20 frame book carries a sticker to the effect that "M20 frame was used for a few War M/Cs M23 and M24 Models"

KM20_21_23_24_2

Certainly, in the KM24 engine book, a few engines seem to have been fitted early in September 1939 into frames with numbers far too high to have been proper Gold Star frames. They all seem to have been supplied to the War Office.

If the early WD M20 frame had been identical to the M24 then surely this comment would not have been necessary...unless they had produced a limited number of evaluation machines with the high-tensile frames and had already gone back to standard grades by September 1939...That would seem to rule out any WM20 production though and if there were no proper Gold Star frames for the M24 then presumably they were used up some time before ?

Don't forget in 1938 and '39 competition M24s (in military finish) were supplied to the army for ISDT teams...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1