Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Census number & AoS

I can't see the copper plate on the end cover as on the WD type...Early post war dynamos (or at least the end covers) didn't have that piece...

Saying that though, it's not absolutely clear in the photo...

Personally I'm having trouble getting my head around current values/prices...To my mind, I still think you should get a full set of parts for that sort of money...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The number 79 is mostly provost or CMP.

Regards, ramon😎😎

email (option): noahlevi6@hotmail.com

Thanks for the feedback. It's actually for sale, so I might enquire further and see. I'm after something that I can do some research on, rather than buying something completely researched, if that makes sense - so this caught my eye.
What are the post war changes that are immediately visible, if you don't mind me asking. I'm still new to this!

email (option): mark_richards37@aol.com

Well I can't disagree about the prices Ian. But if the bike is missing some of it's war time original parts, then you can't wave a wand and make them miraculously appear. The trouble is, if a bike is worth 6 or 8 Grand, then a seller will still see it as being worth that despite having these "minor" parts missing which can then cost another £1000 or more when you can eventually find them.

It's the age old theory of 'Buy it cheaper and slowly do it up to eek the cost out' With also the masochistic pleasure of hunting for the correct parts and the joy of fitting them when you do find them.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

It does have a 'short' dynamo. Probably not the correct 200354 end cap with central oiler cover though.

http://www.stuart-bray-motorcycles.co.uk/bikes/military-bikes/bsa-wm20-1941-unrestored-all-original-tin-v5c-registered/

Oddly the market doesn't seem to show much difference between a top level restoration with original parts and a 'looks tidy from 25 yards' type of machine. I'm puzzled how this could be down to ignorance in the internet age so maybe most of the punters simply don't care which works in favour of the dealers who can buy low and sell high.

As Ron says, it costs a lot to put these details right...for me, as for him, there is much pleasure in searching for parts and the contact that it brings...but the pleasure is diminished by paying over the oddds for the basic project.

What are, realistically, the chances of buying a machine of this age and having something that would maybe ride a couple of thousand miles per annum over five years without any major expanditure / strip down ? I'd find it difficult to buy without budgeting for an engine and gearbox rebuild...that was the philosophy that I had when buying five year old stuff in the 1970s and the experience of myself and others since hasn't really caused me to revise that view point.

Of course, we've all pushed the price of parts up so high by building almost unrestorable incomplete projects that even basket cases have become expensive...at least a complete bike is a decent starting point and maybe it now costs £8000 - £10000 to have a decent well-running ex-WD motorcycle whichever route one takes to achieve that ?

I don't think there is a cheap route to a good bike...The problem when everything is more or less the same price is how to sort out the 'wheat from the chaff', particularly for less experienced buyers....

Without X ray vision you don't really know what you are buying beyond an assessment of what you can see...In my experience, helpfully, that frequently gives pretty good clue to what you can't see....

The general standard of bikes on offer out there is not very good IMO...

Very recently I looked over an M20 for someone which was described as 'stunning'..If they meant I would be stunned by the high price, the fact it wasn't running properly and that it had plenty of other other issues with its condition and specification then perhaps the description was accurate...:laughing:

As ever it's a case of buyer beware, be patient, do your homework before buying and brace yourself for some remedial work before you can go further than the end of the road with confidence...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1