Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Census number & AoS

There is a growing trend as time goes on for people "finding" an older restoration and wrongly assuming it to be "original" military finish of some period or other.

The fact that the last M20s where still being sold off in the early 1970s after some enthusiasts had already begun restoring machines to military spec doesn't help the situation.

Personally I like my machines in wartime spec so I would repaint this bike if I owned it either way.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

The number 79 is mostly provost or CMP.

Regards, ramon😎😎

email (option): noahlevi6@hotmail.com

Thanks for the feedback. It's actually for sale, so I might enquire further and see. I'm after something that I can do some research on, rather than buying something completely researched, if that makes sense - so this caught my eye.
What are the post war changes that are immediately visible, if you don't mind me asking. I'm still new to this!

email (option): mark_richards37@aol.com

I know of a very well restored M20 which is in its post war BAOR markings...Basic finish is gloss green with MP markings applied...

The bike was rebuilt by an ex MP who served at that time and it is in the finish and markings applied by his unit at that time. He even has photos of the M20 he rode in Germany to verify that fact.....I can't really see anything wrong with that and don't feel there is any more problem with presenting an M20 that way than there would (could) be with a 'wartime' finish...

It is really more about taking the time to get it right whichever era you choose (assuming of course that it bothers you)...

I certainly agree though, that the tendency to assume any military bike as presented/found is in its original markings is at best a leap of faith...There really needs to be some facts to validate the assumption...

In the case of the bike that is the subject of this post IMO the Nato olive drab pretty much precludes 'original finish'...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Fascinating stuff chaps. Reading you guys on this forum, has really ignited my enthusiasm again, after taking a hiatus from searching to finish a sideline car build project.

To add a bit more flesh (from the advert) whilst I await some responses from the seller, the DU42 headlight is stated as being 'correct' but with post war glass. Solid levers and original canvas grips, Steering damper fitted as it should be (what does that mean?). Original bum pad, 4 position lucas switch, amp meter and military speedo (smiths). Ribbed rear mudguard and post war number plate.

A couple of questions:

How old were you when you 'got into' or at least owned your first war bike? Just out of curiosity. I wish I'd have started a decade ago. 35 now :(

The cut out tank + pannier set is normal for a '41 - as this would have been converted a couple of years later in service? Was this true of all wM20's pre '44 or so?

:smiley: :smiley: I bought my Jeep in early 1986 when you were not much more than 2 years old Mark,:scream: followed in 1987/8 by my Morris, Tilly and WM20. Still got them and more besides!

The panniers and pillion were certainly being fitted at some point in 1941, along I think with the change from the 'Deluxe' balloon tank to the slim tank. The DU 142 8" headlamp and pre war BSA levers were probably deleted during that year too.

The cut off tank with Vokes filter was being fitted as standard late in the war. However the cut off tank had been around for a long time as they were fitted to the early India Office bikes, but I don't know how often or when they were fitted to bikes destined for dusty conditions.

Henk's collection of pictures can often give a clue to when the changes took place.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Surely the tanks, like a lot of equipment got reused from wrecks, swapped during overhaul and repair work etc. My bike is a 1940, demobbed in 69 and has a cut out tank for a Vokes filter and pannier racks, although the rear mudguard stays have bolts brazed/welded to them, so that could be an earlier owners modification......

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

My impression is that there were a lot of NOS cutaway tanks in ordnance stores at the end of the war. Probably logical as they were gearing up for a longer war against Japan and all machines had to be 'Suitable for the Tropics'....Huge quantities of new parts seem to have been used on the 1950s 'National Service' rebuilds along with 1950s Lucas supersession parts.

If the restorer is interested in portraying a particular period then it is necessary to do some research first. Just using a collection of BSA WM20 parts will not of itself produce a machine that could realistically have served...and if looking for a NW Europe effect, most of the vehicles which left for France were fairly new...and Brown !

Same thing with the postwar M20 Westwood petrol caps, they are being sold now as "early war" how ridiculous!! and people on Facebook even believe this!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi(XX).net (think about this!!)

Sorry for making you feel old Ron! Be interested to see any information on the Jeep and your fleet though.

The seller has responded. There are no other documents or history with the bike, other than the V5C.
So taking it on, would mean doing my own research - which is fine. Presuming from Frame/Engine number I might be able to get at least the contract info, but how much further can you go? key card? Possible DVLA previous owners and contacting them...

At £6,850 I'm also not sure on pricing, is this about the norm for something of this ilk?

Thanks for all of the comments thus far - from everyone.

I was going to suggest looking at Stuart Bray's site for an idea of top end prices, but I see that it's him who is selling that bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdwOzd-eLe0&feature=youtu.be

Bear in mind, Stuart is a dealer and obviously has to earn a living so his prices will undoubtably be higher than a private sale, but his bikes are usually fettled and shown ridden by brother Pete, and there could be some haggling room? There's not many places you can see a selection of WD bikes for sale.

I doubt you would ever know it's army history other than what is shown in the ledgers and key cards. The usual practice if you were going to put markings on it would be to pick a unit that you might have an interest in, possibly via a family member who served with that unit and use it as a tribute bike.

Ron

That is one of Stuart's bikes and I would of thought hel have all the work done to it to make it run and ride as it should and a 20 mile test ride by his mate Pete, also I think any repro crap hel throw away, and get the bike looking period whatever time in the war or even post war. Like some bikes, if it don't sell he'd just break it

Barry

email (option): mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

No field stand, bags and Y straps or sump guard, post war dynamo...Ian

Do you think it's a post war dynamo Ian? I can see the short dynamo brush cover with the exposed screw.Ron

I can't see the copper plate on the end cover as on the WD type...Early post war dynamos (or at least the end covers) didn't have that piece...

Saying that though, it's not absolutely clear in the photo...

Personally I'm having trouble getting my head around current values/prices...To my mind, I still think you should get a full set of parts for that sort of money...Ian

Well I can't disagree about the prices Ian. But if the bike is missing some of it's war time original parts, then you can't wave a wand and make them miraculously appear. The trouble is, if a bike is worth 6 or 8 Grand, then a seller will still see it as being worth that despite having these "minor" parts missing which can then cost another £1000 or more when you can eventually find them.

It's the age old theory of 'Buy it cheaper and slowly do it up to eek the cost out' With also the masochistic pleasure of hunting for the correct parts and the joy of fitting them when you do find them.

Ron

It does have a 'short' dynamo. Probably not the correct 200354 end cap with central oiler cover though.

http://www.stuart-bray-motorcycles.co.uk/bikes/military-bikes/bsa-wm20-1941-unrestored-all-original-tin-v5c-registered/

Oddly the market doesn't seem to show much difference between a top level restoration with original parts and a 'looks tidy from 25 yards' type of machine. I'm puzzled how this could be down to ignorance in the internet age so maybe most of the punters simply don't care which works in favour of the dealers who can buy low and sell high.

As Ron says, it costs a lot to put these details right...for me, as for him, there is much pleasure in searching for parts and the contact that it brings...but the pleasure is diminished by paying over the oddds for the basic project.

What are, realistically, the chances of buying a machine of this age and having something that would maybe ride a couple of thousand miles per annum over five years without any major expanditure / strip down ? I'd find it difficult to buy without budgeting for an engine and gearbox rebuild...that was the philosophy that I had when buying five year old stuff in the 1970s and the experience of myself and others since hasn't really caused me to revise that view point.

Of course, we've all pushed the price of parts up so high by building almost unrestorable incomplete projects that even basket cases have become expensive...at least a complete bike is a decent starting point and maybe it now costs £8000 - £10000 to have a decent well-running ex-WD motorcycle whichever route one takes to achieve that ?

I don't think there is a cheap route to a good bike...The problem when everything is more or less the same price is how to sort out the 'wheat from the chaff', particularly for less experienced buyers....

Without X ray vision you don't really know what you are buying beyond an assessment of what you can see...In my experience, helpfully, that frequently gives pretty good clue to what you can't see....

The general standard of bikes on offer out there is not very good IMO...

Very recently I looked over an M20 for someone which was described as 'stunning'..If they meant I would be stunned by the high price, the fact it wasn't running properly and that it had plenty of other other issues with its condition and specification then perhaps the description was accurate...:laughing:

As ever it's a case of buyer beware, be patient, do your homework before buying and brace yourself for some remedial work before you can go further than the end of the road with confidence...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1