Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bad case of wet sumping -what's the remedy?

You're a braver man than me, or you have a better memory. Have you ever ridden off and forgotten to turn on the petrol..? If yes then you can just as easily do it with the oil tap. The problems I've heard about with anti wet dumping valves have either been down to plastic or poor quality valves breaking or user error like wrong type of valve fitted and no way the pump will open it. I can open my valve with a light suck, if you can't, it's the wrong valve. Also Velocette fitted them as standard on the oil tank, so further away than I fit them, and I've never heard of a Velo seizing up because of one.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Beat me to it Simon 😀

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I have tried any and all remedies to cure the wet sumping on my M21. The problem is I have over 30 bikes and can't ride them all. Also where I live it can get hot in the summer (111 degrees a week ago) which makes the wet sumping worse. My Norton Commando will also empty the oil tank in the summer. The only old bike I have which does not do this in my Velocette which has from the factory a check valve in the oil line.

I finally this year fitted a shut off valve to the M21 which has cured the problem. Yes I know I could forget to turn on the oil but am not worried as on all my old bikes they get a full inspection before starting and any time I stop for fuel, food or beer. I always check to see if oil is going in to the motor and returning to the tank before the bike moves.

I must be lucky then. I'd certainly never ever put on an off valve.

email (option): jeremy@clogmaker.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1