Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: authentic colour scheme

I'm very happy with the colour of my version of KG3, the problem I'm having isn't colour, it's finding a paint that's petrol resistant enough. I used 2pak on my 16H, although it is reasonably petrol resistant it is too shiny in Matt and needs dusting over to get a proper Matt finish. This is very time consuming, so after restoring the B25 which was cellulose paint from John Critchlow and is very petrol resistant, I mixed this KG3 in cellulose. Not as resistant from my local paint suppliers and a good rub with a petrol soaked cloth started to take it off a sample piece. OK that's not the treatment anyone is going to do to your bike but it's not good. I tried some Polyurethane paint from my local supplier and that came easily with petrol too. So I'm going to try some from Ron's supplier which has passed the petrol text on a sample piece. Annoyingly I've sprayed all the small parts of my project which is loads, I'll now have to go over them with this new lot of paint.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Dear Nick

I recently finished the restoration of my bike and being a complete novice about the WM20 had the same issues in the end I copied an Olive drab colour that came from a modelers paint and took it to my local paint shop to match, Although illegal in Hong Kong where I live I manages to obtain Cellulose as the matting agent you can add does make the paint go matt, the 2 pack colours still have a slight sheen. I haven't had any issues with petrol removing the cellulose and remember 30+ years ago cars were all painted with cellulose without issues before 2 pak hit the market

20180725_155509

email (option): deepsea@vol.net

I agree with you Stuart. 30-40 years ago products did work a lot better than today's products. But in the modern H&S regime all things must be safe for a toddler to drink!

Nitromoors paint stripper, Finnegan's Hammerite and Humbrol enamel are just some of the products that I've relied upon since the 60's. But sadly none of them come anywhere near my expectations anymore. I've heard guys bemoaning the fact that Halford's cellulose paint will just wipe off with a petrol soaked rag......I'm very grateful for my local paint shop these days. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

You can still buy proper paint stripper on ebay.

Nieuwe pagina 1