Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
War Time B31? - ie Rigid OHV with girders?

Hi all,

Was talking to the father in law over a cuppa the other day, and mentioned that I'd seen a 'rare girder fork OHV BSA (basically a B31 engine)' on 'the computer' (I call it the computer but mean, online - hes doesn't get all the mumbo jumbo ahahah - 86y/o) . He said "ooh they were common as bum holes". I think he was completely confused, but... I can't seem to find any information, or, remember where I had seen it.

Does anyone have any information on this beautiful bike I had seen? As I say, I believe it was a rigid frame, with girder forks, and an OHV engine. I seem to remember reading it was developed just before WW2, or, at the beginning, but was shelved to concentrate on the WM20 production. I thought I remember the photo showing a gearbox similar to the M20, but maybe the later model that also went in the B31's? I can't be sure on that.

I'd love to know more about this bike, and have some photos to show the old boy. From what I recall, it sure was a pretty bike, with great lines and a much more compact chassis than the M20.

Cheers.
Marty

email (option): marty.whyte@gmail.com

Re: War Time B31? - ie Rigid OHV with girders?

Hi Marty

It sounds like you are referring to the B30 or WB30, there are several posts on here about them, try using the search box at the top of the forum, or better still buy a copy of Chris and Steve's book, British Forces Motorcycles.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rob,

Yes, That's it! Cheers. I Couldn't remember what it was called, and where I'd seen it. It would have been in the book British Forces. Thanks for the heads up on the posts in this forum. Searching now for a squizz.

Very nice looking bike! Might be a nice little 'replica' project. :)

Thanks again. - My brain is like a sieve these days.

email (option): marty.whyte@gmail.com

It was most likely a WB30...Your father in laws recollection is incorrect though, they were never very common...

He is probably thinking of the M20...

The B31 was a post war development of the WB30 and was the first BSA with telescopic forks, so never had girders fitted...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1