Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Do you live in the UK? Are you going to Normandy? Have you got your OGEL?

Hello

I'm being told that if you live in the UK and are planning to go to Normandy next year you will need an OGEL - Open General Export License.

To quote from the Gov.UK website "This open general export licence (OGEL) allows, subject to certain conditions, vintage military vehicles (falling within entry ML6) manufactured 50 years or more before the export date, to be exported to EU countries for not more than 3 months."

I don't know much about it and I don't know what will happen if your found to be without one at the ferry port/border.

More information can be found here - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/open-general-export-licence-historic-military-vehicles-and-artillery-pieces--3

The OGEL can be applied for at - https://www.spire.trade.gov.uk/spire/fox/espire/LOGIN/login

Its free (as far as a know), seems crazy to take the risk?

Regards
Gerard

Re: Do you live in the UK? Are you going to Normandy? Have you got your OGEL?

The OGEL thing was invented some years ago and lots of us rushed to comply. Then they dropped the need for it in some countries.....France being one of them. It was always the case that you didn't need to carry it, just keep an up to date log of your overseas movements in case you are ever asked for it. I don't know anyone who has bothered with this nonsense? Ron:confounded:

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

OK Ron, it does seems 'over the top', but France is still listed (see page 10 of the Information Leaflet - dated April 2018) as a country requiring an OGEL.

The EU aspect is all likely to go tits-up next March anyway. No-one knows what's going to happen, but old vehicles are going to be well down the list of things to sort out.

If I'm re-reading it correctly. Article 3 on page 11 mentions the three countries under the exemption of the licence. ie France, Belgium and Germany. Ron

What about the motorcycles (and even more warry vehicles) which are sold abroad....No exemptions for those - even parts seem to be covered...How the hell would they know after eighty years, or does painting an old motorcycle matt green make it 'military' ?

The odd thing is that only the UK seems to be tying itself in knots over this...Within Schengen, there seems to be no suggestion that crossing a border is 'importing or exporting'....

Presumably all the overseas visitors to W&P had to import their vehicles and then confirm re-export ? The law is clearly an ass in this case.

This from a government rep. Ron

Thank you for your enquiry, and apologies for the delay.

In answer to your questions;

The Compliance Unit, part of the Export Control Joint Unit, does not carry out compliance visits to holders of the Open General Export Licence (Vintage Military Vehicles). I can also confirm that this licence will remain valid until either you surrender it, or for any reason we decide to revoke the licence (which we have no plans to do)

Regarding your question about other members, a licence will be required by anybody exporting controlled items from the UK.

Further information is available from our helpdesk.

Best Regards

Lorraine

Article 6 from the next piece of government gobbledygook confirms that France Germany and Belgium are indeed exempt from having to apply for an OGEL. Ron

6. As a result of the introduction of this exemption, individuals and owners of historic military vehicles will not need to apply for an export licence (whether for an Open General Export Licence or any other type of licence) if temporarily taking a relevant vehicle to either Belgium, France or Germany (provided you can meet the stated conditions).

Quite correct Ron. You do not need one of these licences unless you are staying for more than 3 months. (in the stated countries).

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

I think mine is still running, I have taken my M20 to Arnhem so it was supposedly necessary.

However if we do crash out of Europe, they may need to be re-negotiated, time will tell.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1