Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 Tappet chest

Gents

I have spent some time trying to diagnose noisy tappets on my M20. I have read a lot of the threads here and checked the oil feed / set the tappets etc.

Yesterday i noticed that there was no tappet noise with the chest cover off the bike that returns when its back on.

There are no obvious signs of metal to metal contact. The compression lever is set correctly. I presume the cover is amplifying the noise but is there any thing else i can check so resolve the problem ? I am running good quality 50 grade oil and there is a reasonable amount of oil in the chest.

Cheers

Ant

Re: M20 Tappet chest

I don't run standard tappet clearances and haven't done for years..(.010" inlet, .012" exhaust)...

I run a 'snug' .008" on the inlet and a 'looser' .008" on the exhaust...That quietens things down a bit, though you will have to check your valve lifter setting after making the adjustment...

Are you running the aluminium or steel tappet plate?...and have you followed the setting instructions for getting the cams in the correct position before adjusting the gaps?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Morning Ian

Yes i run standard tappet clearances and have used the diagram in the workshop manual to set them.

I am currently running the aluminium tappet plate but i have both.

I cant quite get my head around the fact that there is practically no noise when the cover is off but its quite pronounced when its on.

Thanks for your feedback.

Anthony

Ian Wright
I don't run standard tappet clearances and haven't done for years..(.010" inlet, .012" exhaust)...

I run a 'snug' .008" on the inlet and a 'looser' .008" on the exhaust...That quietens things down a bit, though you will have to check your valve lifter setting after making the adjustment...

Are you running the aluminium or steel tappet plate?...and have you followed the setting instructions for getting the cams in the correct position before adjusting the gaps?...Ian
Hi Ian, what is the reason for adjusting the tappet clearance that way ? Especially the exhaust is 50 % less :worried:
Cheers
John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

To cut down on mechanical noise!...I took the bike out and gave it a good thrashing to get it fully up to working temperature...I then immediately took off the tappet cover and checked the gaps on returning home...

Both tappets were not far from the 'cold' clearance so I thought it worth a gamble to close them down a little as an experiment..That was at least 15 to 20 years back and as I didn't encounter any problems I adopted the new settings as 'standard'...

I think Mick from Draganfly actually runs his a little closer than I do at about 6-7thou.

The subject of differences in tappet settings for different engines that are essentially the same structurally and that share similar operating temperatures etc. would bear some discussion I would say....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, a manual from publisher bruce main-smith tells me that the 1937-38 m20/21 had in .004 and out .008 and the 1939/40 m20/21 had in .008 and out .0012
Why the sudden difference, special the the inlet clearance.
cheers
John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Might the difference have something to do with the cams? Did the pre-war bikes have the same type of overlap valve timing? I know when the post war C11 engine changed from the first type cams to the "ramped" cams, the clearances became much greater. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1