Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Amal 276 flooding

The sketch above is from the Amal assembly card and was simply to ensure that the pre-assembled mixing chamber / float assemblies were correctly aligned when sent to BSA for original fitment. As the carb is horizontal, the angle will not affect float level.

The brass on brass needle / seat can be prone to flooding although once they're sorted, they usually stay that way for a long time. Fuel obviously needs to be 100% clean. It takes very little dust to cause problems. Lapping can help if not too bad but only very lightly and with nothing coarser than 'Brasso'. A very light tap onto the seat can also help - but certainly don't hammer it into the seat.

A new float chamber may help. There was a suggestion a while ago that Martyn Bratby could replace or re-face the seats but I haven't tried him for that. Current Amal chambers have a nylon float and needle with extra groove to accomodate the different locating system.

Using them is the best way to ensure that this sort of thing doesn't happen.

Rik
The sketch above is from the Amal assembly card and was simply to ensure that the pre-assembled mixing chamber / float assemblies were correctly aligned when sent to BSA for original fitment. As the carb is horizontal, the angle will not affect float level.

The brass on brass needle / seat can be prone to flooding although once they're sorted, they usually stay that way for a long time. Fuel obviously needs to be 100% clean. It takes very little dust to cause problems. Lapping can help if not too bad but only very lightly and with nothing coarser than 'Brasso'. A very light tap onto the seat can also help - but certainly don't hammer it into the seat.

A new float chamber may help. There was a suggestion a while ago that Martyn Bratby could replace or re-face the seats but I haven't tried him for that. Current Amal chambers have a nylon float and needle with extra groove to accomodate the different locating system.

Using them is the best way to ensure that this sort of thing doesn't happen.
Thanks Rik .In the next couple of day's I'll be ordering from Burlen ltd (Amal), a new mixing chamber top ring and clip ,I see they do the nylon float complete with needle and clip in kit form . Would it be correct to gently lapp the new needle or leave it ?

Thanks

Dave

email (option): davemb42@yahoo.com

It may be simply that your fuel level is too high. There is a bleed hole on the left side of the main carb body, just above the bottom union nut to take care of any over fueling. There are two or three different heights of union nuts and an M20 should have the shortest one. Usually the problem will go away once the engine is running. You can't alter the height of the float but you can alter the height of the bowl with an extra washer. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier
It may be simply that your fuel level is too high. There is a bleed hole on the left side of the main carb body, just above the bottom union nut to take care of any over fueling. There are two or three different heights of union nuts and an M20 should have the shortest one. Usually the problem will go away once the engine is running. You can't alter the height of the float but you can alter the height of the bowl with an extra washer. Ron
Thanks Ron I'll have a look at that tomorrow night.

email (option): davemb42@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1