Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A.M.C SIDE CAR

Thanks Rob. I've ordered issue 204. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Here is the 1940 Matchless model X military outfit and John Tinley's replica, Ron
Model_X_02
IMG_1198

The Union Jack's upside down, a sign of distress!
Richard

I agree that the Union flag is upside down. But I can not believe that a ship in distress would expect anyone to notice an upside down flag. In a state of emergency, there would be far more need to indicate it.....Like flares, Mayday signals and high pitched screams of "DON'T PANIC" etc. Ron

Read your Captain Hornblower!

Never read it! Will it be in the 'FICTION' section of the library? :smiley: Ron

I suppose anyone would be in distress having to ride a Matchless...:laughing: .(great books the Hornblower series)....

I've recently finished the full set of 'Sharpe' novels....also an entertaining read....Ian.

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I always preferred Alexander Kent. The pre 1801 British flag didn't have an up or down of course.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Going back to the Sunbeam, I'm intrigued by the reverse gear which appears to be after the gearbox?

Rob

Rob the write up I read (if I can ever find it again) about a road test of this outfit in the 50's before it was broken up. Said that the small additional reverse gearbox had been removed before the test. I seem to remember that it had given some trouble or broken or something. Ron

The photo of my Matchless 39/X was taken in Normandy after a heavy night on whiskey and Calvados. I remember being in quite a distressed state. JT

Ron, have you got your copy of the magazine yet?

In the close up of the engine side, does it look like the riders footrest has been snapped off?

Rob

Yes you are right Rob! I wonder how that could happen? It's more usual for foot rests to bend than snap.
Scan_20180713_3
Scan_20180713_2

In the picture with two people on board it seems to be there, maybe they got carried away whilst they were doing the test ride?

Rob

There appears to be an interesting mix of bits on this bike, apart from the "live" rear axle, presumably to accommodate sidecar wheel drive the frame seat stays are sufficiently bifurcated to accommodate the rear cylinder head poking through. Also it uses a Sturney Archer type gear box (Brough?) not a Burman as in the X although the mag and it's chain case are as in the X. These things plus the oil tank under the seat, an interesting position, were I assume to reduce the wheel base.
Richard.

email (option): richard177smith@btinternet.com

No live axle on the Sunbeam Richard, it's Rigid, the same as the Norton big 4 and used the same Dolls head gearbox. No differential to the SWD, just a crude dog engagement for the propshaft. Which could end in tears if left engaged on hard ground with both rear wheels being driven together:flushed: Ron

Maybe I spoke too soon? What exactly does live axle mean? Sureley it's not swinging arm, plunger or sprung hub. Ron

If its like the Norton with the rear wheel bearings in the frame and the spindle turning with the wheel, it probably is a "live axle".

Rob

Yep I get that now Rob.:flushed: So that the propshaft fitting turns with the wheel. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1