Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WM20 gearbox casing removal

I've found that wherever steel bolts are threaded into aluminium some electrolysis occurs which can make them almost impossible to extract. I always lightly coat new bolts with anti seize first and that seems to stop that from happening.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Matty Leahy
Good to hear.
When you said impact driver I thought you meant one of these

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_driver

hence the comment about the mash hammer.
I have one of those for the 4 wheel machines Matt :grin:

I kept giving short bursts on my cordless impact screwdriver and they eventually gave , must say they were damn tight .I'm surprised that who ever put them in didn't rip the threads out of the casing .

email (option): davemb42@yahoo.com

Jeff
What was the condition of the kickstart bush , was this the cause of the free play
Jeff
Hi Jeff

I haven't got around to looking at it yet , but hopefully before the weekend I'll get around to it , and fingers crossed that's what it is

Hello Jeff

Yes with the kickstart removed the bush is worn , now having a problem getting the casing off , taken the bolt oit of the back and all screws from the front but still cant get it to move .:face_with_rolling_eyes:

There's also a circlip behind the gear lever that needs to be removed but the cover should still come loose, tap around the perimeter with a soft hammer.

Matty Leahy
There's also a circlip behind the gear lever that needs to be removed but the cover should still come loose, tap around the perimeter with a soft hammer.
I didn't realise there were 3 bolts and a nut at the back of the casing , obviously meant to be removed with the gearbox out , damn awkward but managed to get them out .

The casing bush is worn , replaced that as I had pre ordered one , but what concerns me is the bronze "post" the quadrant fits onto , it looks like with the kickstart bush being worn its misshapen the bronze "post" .I tried the quadrant onto the post and it has quite a bit of movement and it tapers from back to the front by nearly 2mm .The quadrant is also very rough in fact that rough it looks as though its been threaded!

Also unbelievable the amount of crud in the casing .

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

that bronze "post" is the back end of the layshaft bush. I don't think it is supposed to lend support to the kickstart and the kickstart Quadrant should not come into contact with it. I don't think the damage showed in your picture is of any significance to this bushing.

cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomleyqweb.de

Pete C
that bronze "post" is the back end of the layshaft bush. I don't think it is supposed to lend support to the kickstart and the kickstart Quadrant should not come into contact with it. I don't think the damage showed in your picture is of any significance to this bushing.

cheers
Pete
+1 for Pete's post. The K/S quadrant does not run on the back of the lay shaft bush, there is clearance.

"...I didn't realise there were 3 bolts and a nut at the back of the casing , obviously meant to be removed with the gearbox out , damn awkward but managed to get them out..."

Have a look at the Tecnnical Section, "Gearbox Work", for a modification of those three bolts!

Hi Pete/Matty

Thanks for putting me right on my assumption the "Bronze post" supported the quadrant . Confusing stuff :face_with_rolling_eyes: total rookie but finding things out .

I had a conversation with a dealer today and it went like this ...................

Me: Hello ??????,I wonder if you can help me ?

I'm after the inner gearbox plate the one with the bronze "peg" and a kickstart quadrant as there's alot of play between the two surfaces , I take it the two should be snug ?

Dealer: Yes

Me: The best way to describe , the recess on the back of the quadrant looks as if its had a screw thread cut into it and the bronze "peg" has tapered off on the edge .

Dealer: What will of happened is, the front bush is worn and the quadrant has been rocking when its been kicked off and over a period of time it has chamfered off the edge and this is what's caused the screw effect inside the recess of the quadrant .Have you replaced the bush in the casing ?

Me: Yes .

Dealer: Ok , I'll see if I have a inner gearbox plate and quadrant and get back to you .Worth checking while your on the kickstart gears that the quadrant engages with, are they damaged .

Me: No, already checked those .

Dealer: Make sure, they could be chipped with the quadrant jumping about , might be worth replacing while you have it in bits as they are not expensive bits .

Me: Ok will do , I'll let you know .

Dealer : Ring me tomorrow and let me know and I can send all the bits together , be a shame if you got it all put back together and found the kickstart jumped .

Me: Ok thanks I'll ring you tomorrow ,Bye !

Well so the quadrant doesn't ride on the bronze "peg" , in his head he must have been on a different gearbox :thinking_face: ?, but I did tell him it was for a 1941 WM20 . With the bush being worn I wonder if its damaged the shaft on the quadrant ? I'm thinking the shaft is hardened and the bush is the softer of the two so hopefully this won't be the case .

Dave

Thanks Hans will do , they were a pain to get to

Both the quadrant and the outer cover bush tend to wear after extended use...As the quadrant doesn't rotate but only moves through an incomplete rotation and has varying loads applied the parts are usually worn unevenly...

You will need to check the quadrant shank with a micrometer at various points around the circuference to accurately asses the amount of wear...

A new quadrant should measure 1.1855" to 1.1865" and have a clearance between the quadrant and the bush of 0.0005"-0.0025"....

Note that the quadrant has the first few teeth reduced to help initial engagement with the kick start ratchet gear and that is not wear...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
Both the quadrant and the outer cover bush tend to wear after extended use...As the quadrant doesn't rotate but only moves through an incomplete rotation and has varying loads applied the parts are usually worn unevenly...

You will need to check the quadrant shank with a micrometer at various points around the circuference to accurately asses the amount of wear...

A new quadrant should measure 1.1855" to 1.1865" and have a clearance between the quadrant and the bush of 0.0005"-0.0025"....

Note that the quadrant has the first few teeth reduced to help initial engagement with the kick start ratchet gear and that is not wear...Ian
Thanks Ian , I'll do as you suggest and measure along the quadrant shank and see what variation there is .

I don't know what I'd do without you lads on here all the combined knowledge , its very much appreciated all the input and guidance.

Thanks again

Dave

That layshaft bush has been turned up by a home machinist with skills fairly well commensurate with myself.
So the "damage" could have been done when it was made.
Original items are quite rounded where as yours is square edged and then looks like the parting tool slipped when he was parting off.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1