Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sealing the primary chaincase

On any cork gasket only grease is needed, unless the joint is really badly distorted.

I like Ken's idea of using cosmolene. I'll try that.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Noam, Ken, Cas
Yes, there's the back of the inner casing to be considered but this was all done ?properly? when the bike was assembled & seems OK. Though I may treat myself to some new gaskets around the footrest.
I'll try the silicone & grease.

Hans & Michael
Does greasing the outer cover before putting silicone on the gasket allow the cases to be separated fairly easily?

Yes, they separate easily Bob! I only watch the order of assembly, doing the bolts from down upwards, and for disassembly I start from the top downwards.

I use synthetic grease and have no leaks. No silicone is needed. Make sure the cover is flat, use a new gasket and don't over tighten the screws. Petroleum based grease works but does not last as long as the oil will dissolve it over time.

Hans & Bruce
Thanks again. I've forged ahead & used silicone on the outer cover & grease only on the inner. On my bike the gasket always comes away with the outer piece on dismantling so I've made that the semi permanent joint. If it's still a leaker I should be able to work out which joint is failing. The silicone needs 24 hours to cure so I haven't filled the case yet.

Nieuwe pagina 1