Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Engine number

Hi I have recently acquired a set of engine cases for a 3HW stamped with number 3HW 38663, I can't find this number in my copy of O&M does anybody have any info? Cheers

email (option): deadhorsesdontgetbackup@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Engine number

I wonder if it's anything to do with contract C7162 which was a nixed up contract of 5000 3SW's and 143 3H's. Frame number 28663 is in there which transpired into the Triumph way of the engine number being 10,000 ahead of the frame numbers? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

That contract was delivered '40-'41 wouldn't that be a bit early for an HW, is it possible that it was a 3H engine and had the W add at later date? I just had a closer look at it and the cam followers from memory seem to be the same as my wife's '38 Tiger 70 with the lift up push rod tubes. Barry
3HW engine number

Hmm! Yes! The numbering system didn't become consistent until contract C13948. The previous RAF contract from the temporary works at Warwick had a mix of frame and engine numbers. I imagine there was quite a lot of make it up with whatever they could after the bombing of the Coventry works and I also assume that there was a lot of confusion and missing ledgers since. Hence gaps in the records.

A find like your engine case with it's original stamping (I have no reason to doubt it) only goes to prove those gaps. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I have just been looking at a spare frame that came with the Tiger 70 and noticed the frame number is TL7394 which is only 400 away from contract C2073. So think I might make something out of what I have.

Nieuwe pagina 1