Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 Battery Modern equivalent

Hi

I've scoured the internet looking for the correct modern version of battery for my WM20 but had no luck .The one that came with the bike is physically very small (and won't charge) it looks lost in the bottom of the battery case .I was wondering if an heavy duty battery is available and could anyone advise on the best make and model to get .

Thanks

Dave

email (option): davemb42@yahoo.com

Re: WM20 Battery Modern equivalent

I've used Cyclon gel batteries for years in all my bikes. you can wire two together to give 10 amps or there is a larger 8amp version, all of which you can fit inside a dummy battery. I've found that one 5amp battery is sufficient in my mostly daylight magneto bikes, (Wrapped in 'Bubble Wrap') but I have 10amps for my Indian's (coil ignition).

I buy mine from Mich Ash at the southern jumbles for about £17 (5amp) But plenty to look at on the internet.

https://www.countybattery.co.uk/vrla-batteries/hawker-cyclon-x-6v-5.0ah-battery-0809-0012?gclid=CjwKCAjw_tTXBRBsEiwArqXyMu0vMWbFxI7pI0bRLEL5ecndpfwCQRaidBWOovtOSe7JiCp_n6YDmRoCunkQAvD_BwE

Ron
Scan_150214_0001

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Down here Cyclons are just about universal fitment.
I started using 2 x 5A as I used to do a lot of night riding but dropped back to a single 5A.
I run an LED brake/stop and a std headlamp as I am yet to find a 6V LED that provides enough light to ride by.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

A 6V 6N6-3B will fit inside a dummy box.

They are widely available, cheap and will last approximately one year of neglect/abuse.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Yes but then you're back to corrosive acid. When I'm out on one of my Indian's, at least I can carry a spare Cyclon up me jumper:smiley: Ron

The dummy box is like a drip tray.......hopefully. Jumpers, probably not!

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

These are what I use cheap and cheerful and last a long, I buy two and tape them together and run them as a 12v battery. they fit into a std battery case with enough room to line them with high density foam. The last two I bought lasted 5 years and at just under £16 a lot cheaper than cyclon type... Dave www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220871871157

I have always used Cyclons on my Matchless total loss electrical system......and they have the added benefit of holding charge MUCH longer than a conventional battery.

i am interested in battery box for bsa m20 1942. thank you!

email (option): David.elimelech@gmail.com

Thanks for the link Ron

I like the idea of gel batteries rather than the acid .I'll either order 2 of the 5A or 1 of the 8's. What do you think is the better option? I do tend to be out and about late at night when I'm over in Arnhem and Normandy .

Dave

trevor
Down here Cyclons are just about universal fitment.
I started using 2 x 5A as I used to do a lot of night riding but dropped back to a single 5A.
I run an LED brake/stop and a std headlamp as I am yet to find a 6V LED that provides enough light to ride by.
When I'm out in Arnhem or Normandy I'm out till all hours , regular away returning to base after the witching hour , so I might just keep one under the jumper :grin: .

I've just converted my Jeep to 12V ,taken the blackout light off and converted my headlights to H4's for the above reason.I can't see a damn thing when something comes towards me late at night on the back roads , plus at last I'll be able to see the road properly :grin:

Dave

Dave
Thanks for the link Ron

I like the idea of gel batteries rather than the acid .I'll either order 2 of the 5A or 1 of the 8's. What do you think is the better option? I do tend to be out and about late at night when I'm over in Arnhem and Normandy .

Dave
Dave you could fit an 8 or 5amp to your bike and have a spare 5amp up your jumper. Mick Ash will be the cheapest and I guess he can post them, the same as the dearer firms. He'll be at Kempton on 19th, but it's probably too far for you? Give him a shout....Nice bloke! Ron

Ron Pier
Dave
Thanks for the link Ron

Dave
Dave you could fit an 8 or 5amp to your bike and have a spare 5amp up your jumper. Mick Ash will be the cheapest and I guess he can post them, the same as the dearer firms. He'll be at Kempton on 19th, but it's probably too far for you? Give him a shout....Nice bloke! Ron
Thanks Ron , I'll give him a call tomorrow and see if he can post an 8 and 5 upto me .

Dave

If the charging system is all OK and working and you're doing some open-road miles then you shouldn't really need to carry a spare battery. The batteries usually seem to give up when they're not being used much.

Nieuwe pagina 1