Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Single spring clutch lifting in a tilted fashion

Aloha everyone!

I have I problem with my single spring clutch that is nearly driving me crazy!

It doesn't lift straight. The first millimeters (sorry for speaking in metric) it starts to lift in an even manner with movement all around. But the it's as if one side gets stuck and the other side takes of. But there is nothing for it to get stuck on!
If I tighten only the two nuts on the side where it doesn't lift properly and leave the others four about 5 mm (again sorry) from tight I lifts more evenly. And the clutch operates kind of properly. But I of course can't be driving around with loose nuts on the clutch.

- I have removed any notches, pits or other signs of wear and all parts move freely and with ease. The outermost sliding plate with studs (part no 15-4308) is a new repro (the old one was damaged beyond repair) and seem to be straight and good.

- My first thought was that the spring was old and bent so I bought a new one. From Draganfly who appears to be the only ones selling it. Could it be that the new spring is also bent? Seems far fetched I know but I am really at my withs end here!

Please save my before I go insane!

Best regards,

Simon

Re: Single spring clutch lifting in a tilted fashion

A common problem.
Way back there was a period fix for this.
What has happened is the bottom of the plate under the spring has distorted a bit.
Also the spring will never actually lift square unless it has been wound on a spiral end like on the girder.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Hi Trevor,

I can see how that would be, but what puzzles me is that the darn thing is brand new!
Suppose it could have been badly manufactured though.

/simon

The ends of the clutch spring should be ground flat and be parallel to each other...Stand the spring on a flat surface and check the parallelism of the ends with a straight edge...If not parallel it won't lift evenly...

There is a REME modification to the spring nut that introduces some adjustment. Once modified, the initial set up is fiddly but it does work and will probably solve your problem....

I'll try to post a picture of the mod. when I can find it...Ian

Here it is...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, you are the master of the universe!

In process of fitting the adjustment bolts right now.
I may or may not use the 3 BA thread... ;-)

/Simon

Well I think that did the trick Ian!

But my good was it a pain to adjust it. After quite some time and mote than a few removing and mounting of the pressure plate I did however succeed in getting the clutch to lift straight.
The plates are kinda loose when engaging the clutch but i wont really slide when kicking over. But I'm thinking some minor adjustments of thinkclutch operating arm. And also the plates are new so perhaps with a bit of wear things will be ok. Fingers crossed!

Once again, thanks for good advice!

/simon

Simon,
are you still in the proces of building the bike, or have you really been riding with this clutch ?

- If not, give it a try I would say.
- And if so, what was the problem ?

If it doesn't free properly, there may also be other solutions. Like leaving the 2 outer plates of.
Much comes down to adjustment.

Mike
Simon,
are you still in the proces of building the bike, or have you really been riding with this clutch ?

- If not, give it a try I would say.
- And if so, what was the problem ?

If it doesn\\\'t free properly, there may also be other solutions. Like leaving the 2 outer plates of.
Much comes down to adjustment.
Hello Mike,

1. The bike has been started but nothing more.

2. The clutch doesn't work so no I have not given it a try. I am fully capable of riding a bike without a working clutch, have made it home in such a fashion. But don't want to.

3. The problem was that the clutch didn't work. It didn't lift straight.

4. I have left two plates out. Because the fiber plates where much thicker than original.

5. I know how to adjust a clutch and that was not the issue here. The issue was that it was not possible to adjust a clutch that doesn't lift straight. Unlike for instance a Triumph clutch where there are three or four springs that can be adjusted.

In retrospect I wish that instead of buying all those expensive single spring clutch parts I had bought a new clutch of a better construction. Oh well it works now, you live and you learn.

Thanks again for the help Ian!

Best regards,

Simon

Glad to hear you got it sorted out Simon...I hope you enjoy the bike when you do start riding it!....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1