Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear Hub Bearings (Triumph WD)

Greetings from a metric-system country.

I am trying to find rear wheel bearings for my Triumph 3sw, without success.
The old ones in my rear hub have a 1 3/4" (=4,445 cm) outer diameter and are made for a 0.56" (=1.42 cm) axle.

My problems might be related to the language barrier. I can find 1.75" and 0.56" bearings, but not in a combination of outer and inner diameter.

My old bearings are marked "SKF" and "3k-1120N1", but I can´t find a modern replacement on pages run by german or british bearing producers. Is there an easy way of ordering these in the UK?

email (option): TheScrapyard@gmx.net

Re: Rear Hub Bearings (Triumph WD)

Hi Oliver

I know nothing about your model, but are you sure the Internal Diameter (I/D) of that bearing is correct at 0.56" (i.e. 14/25").

Is it not something like 9/16"?

I presume 3K1120N1 is the cone. Can you make out what it says on the cup (3k1163 for example)? Again, I know nothing about your bike, and I am assuming the bearing is a taper bearing.

If you post the I/D, O/D and width, maybe someone can help from there.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Is that the one you need?

See link below:

http://www.veterantriumph.co.uk/bearing-1163x1120ni-916-bore-wheel-bearing-2884-p.asp

Pat is right, the rear axle is 9/16" and the front is 1/2". These old Timken bearings are hard to find and can be expensive. I found a source for new Timken front bearings (tiny things) and got together with a dealer and we had to buy 12 off to get them at £50 each. (I still have a spare pair)

I've also managed to get some by finding cups and cones from different sources.

Darren Wrudd from this forum runs his own bearing business and might be able to find something email john-fenwick@btconnect.com

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks, my problem with my axle - it might be a modification from a previous owner. Triumph axles for the 3sw/3hw seem to be only available from India, so I guess I have to use what I already have, as it was working so far...and safe.

There is 1112965 on the cup, 3k1120n1 on the cone and 1201807 writen on the cage. 0.56" is what my calliper tells me regarding the center hole. Will check it out again.

The link looks promising.

Hi,

9/16" is 0.5625" so not too far off. Hopefully it is closer when you check again.

Regards

Pat

Even when I measure the axles on my 3HW which stick out past the nuts a bit, they measure under size with my vernier. My 3SW axles are flush so can't measure those. I guess there is a tolerance.

But the dealer I mentioned can probably supply you with his own made (stainless) axles, nuts, spacers etc.
I also have a source for headstock cups and cones and fork spindles

Email me if you want contact details. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

A lot of interesting information, thanks!

My vernier does find 9/16 on my old axle, not everywhere, but...

I will contact the dealer Ron mentioned regarding new axle parts, front and rear.
Headstock cups and spindles - I still have a lot of unsolved fork problems.

Thanks!

Oliver

Use a micrometer if you want accuracy to the thou......Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

i have NOS - if u interested i can sent photos to u

email (option): sl_hussein@yahoo.com

Darren Wrudd would need drawings of the axle parts, which I can´t provide, as I don´t know if my own axle is original or a replacement. My axle was fitted to my 3sw frame, but in the manual the threads for the nuts are equal long on both sides, but on my spindle the thread on one side is longer than on the other side.

(WOW, thinking about it, this might be the reason for the heavy damage on the inside of my chain case cover !! )

Now I have found a company (Ace Classics) in the UK which does sell a "UK made" complete rear spindle W61, they also seem to have a modern replacement made by Timken for the "Triumph W7" bearing for 60 pounds each.

Still might need the special skills of Darren Wrudd for the missing front spindle.

Hello everyone,
My apologies, I have been (and still am) rather busy at work with some big changes and so although Oliver had emailed me, I had not seen the thread.

I think it is worked out now that the bearing is an old Timken one 1163X inner with 1120NI outer which Skefco also manufactured. There are some odd Chinese ones around which are adapted from metric bearings but generally the only NOS ones are pricey to say the least
Many of these old sizes are not listed any more, so seemingly don't exist - but I have a Timken catalogue from years back which is scanned and shows the full old range. I have emailed a copy to Oliver and if anyone else wants to see it, just drop me an EMAIL, and I will reply with the catalogue :-)

Yes Oliver, I can certainly manufacture the shafts if needed, but as I am not familiar with many of these bikes (except my own M20 which is coming along slowly ) I often require a sketch.
So if I can help, please do drop me a line Oliver and I will do my best to assist.

Best regards
Darren

email (option): dwrudd at lineone.net

Nieuwe pagina 1