Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lucas WD batteries

I think it's fairly well known that the batteries on our bikes were painted in service colour. I think it's also correct to say that they were painted at the Lucas works and not by the bike manufacturers, and in that respect it is more than likely that they wouldn't have exactly matched the colour of the bikes. So It's a nice touch to have the battery off colour. I've got a few of Ian's and some of Arnaud's and here are some I just sprayed, drying in the midday sun.

I've done the earlier dated batteries in Khaki and the 44 dated batteries in Olive Drab. I've even got one in Service Brown.
DSCF0746

Here is my only original battery (1943). I like to tell people, that I stubbed my toe on it in the sand on Arromanches beach, but the truth is I found it in a little shop up a side road in Arromanches. Clearly it still has the remains of green paint on it. Ron

M20_397

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Lucas WD batteries

I have three original batteries two 43 dated and one 44 dated,one is on my 3HW with a 10 amp cyclon sealed lead acid battery inside,the other two still have their original insides,two have the remains of brown paint and one olive drab,looking at original factory photos they do seem to have been painted before they were fitted.

Three original batteries? That's plain greedy :smiley: Mine also has it's original posts and terminals and I can't bring myself to hollow it out, so it remains a museum exhibit. Ron:+1:

Very nice, Ron. If I read the VAOS lists correctly then all Lucas parts were supplied in Service colour so this could mean shade (or perhaps the matt / gloss balance) differences on head and tail lamps, as well as regulator boxes.

Would the factories have blown any that arrived in an old or new colour over before fitting them ?

I had a NOS WD battery top still in its box years ago, painted mid war brown, but there was no clue on the outside of the box as to the colour, so perhaps a mix and match would be more accurate if you are after correct service "patina".

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

I had two NOS tops in the boxes years ago. One, interestingly, in Desert colour...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Interesting and timely post. I'm about to purchase a replica battery box for my 1940 build 16H. I presume that they're made in a paintable type of resin - or do they need some sort of pre-treatment?

What's the correct Lucas type (size and lettering) for a 16H? Who has the best moulds (cleanest detail on the graphics)? What are their contact details please?

email (option): robert.g.elliott@gmail.com

Robert see my post 'Batteries' in the for sale section. Apart from the date they are all the same for all makes from 1940 onward. I simply spray mine with 2-3 light coats of mat paint with no primer.....Much the same as they did at Lucas.....But without the lead of course:slightly_smiling_face: Ron

Thanks Ron, I'll check out your for sale post.

Regards,
Rob

Steve , out of interest , did you pick up the desert sand jerry can in normandy ?

email (option): warbikes@gee male dot con, (think about this folks)

Hi Andrew,no not Normandy,that one from a Malvern flea fair about 10 years ago,it was made about 8 miles from where I live (that's why I brought it)F&L 1943 (FISHER & LUDLOW,Rolfe Street Smethwick).The three batteries I got from Netley jumble 1998/9,I think I paid £20 for the three,they are not in as good condition as Rons original one though,one of them has a number on in white paint 80230 which was put on after the olive drab.

Hello,
the white number on the box isn't it the motorcycle frame number??? as it painted on a 1944 exemple it could be BSA or Norton??
Arnaud

I spotted and wondered about the white number too Arnaud. Could that also be the Army registration number? I'd love to know.

I don't think so Robert. The registration (census number) would have been much longer. I think Arnaud is right about a frame number. Maybe painted on by the bikes rider to be sure he got his 'good' battery back after a stint in the workshop, rather than someone else's 'duff' battery. Ron

Had a look in some BSA M20 parts books (battery) and in the column headed proprietary parts is the number 80230, haven't had a look in any other makers parts books yet.

Hi Ron

Did I make it in the first batch of battery boxes or am I in the second lot ?

Br

Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hi steve
your right!! on the Royal Enfield WD/CO and the WD/C and WD/D books batteries are listed MT4/80230 also, it's not the frame number but the part number, carefully handpainted...
good match steve!!

John o Brien
Hi Ron

Did I make it in the first batch of battery boxes or am I in the second lot ?

Br

Job
Sorry John I missed that. But I did ask to be emailed directly. That batch were all snapped up by email requests within the first day.
Can you put a fresh request on the batteries for sale thread, where Arnuad is taking notes.

In fact I'll start a new thread about it now in 'Parts for sale' Ron

Hi Ron

I’ll do that

Br

Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Steve S.
Had a look in some BSA M20 parts books (battery) and in the column headed proprietary parts is the number 80230, haven't had a look in any other makers parts books yet.
Confirmed by Arnaud and I didn't think to look in the parts books! I wonder how many batteries actually had the part number hand painted on.....and why? Ron

Vocabulary of Army Ordnance Stores (VAOS) LV6-MT4 Part 1 Jan 1944, Rob van Meel reprint, thanks Rob.

From the picture it appears this part number was used by all manufacturers of this size battery, is this an Exide?

Rob

battery

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Rob I have a very similar WD battery to that with the outside posts on one of my Enfield's. It's a Varley! but I haven't noticed a date.
DSCF0753

Then I have this WD Exide on my MAF, again I haven't studied it properly for a date. Ron
DSCF0755

Ron Pier
I think it's fairly well known that the batteries on our bikes were painted in service colour. I think it's also correct to say that they were painted at the Lucas works and not by the bike manufacturers, and in that respect it is more than likely that they wouldn't have exactly matched the colour of the bikes. So It's a nice touch to have the battery off colour. I've got a few of Ian's and some of Arnaud's and here are some I just sprayed, drying in the midday sun.

I've done the earlier dated batteries in Khaki and the 44 dated batteries in Olive Drab. I've even got one in Service Brown.
DSCF0746

Here is my only original battery (1943). I like to tell people, that I stubbed my toe on it in the sand on Arromanches beach, but the truth is I found it in a little shop up a side road in Arromanches. Clearly it still has the remains of green paint on it. Ron

Ron, why are the letters "raised" in the two left ones, and "sunk" in the others??

Have some pictures of a painted BSA M20 battery, that has the C number painted on in white. This was done, so the same battery when it was charged externally would go back in the same bike, I've been told.

Green and brown!!

Another NOS postwar battery (1963) I have is unpainted, so may it was only during wartime??

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net (think about it!!)

Hi Ron,

Can I ask? what have you used on the end of the U clamp to stop the acorn nuts coming off? I think that I have seen a piece of rubber pipe used.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Dave. Just a couple of twists of fuse wire. Ron

I use a small piece of rubber pipe..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ron and Ian for your replys.Not seen the wire, but have the rubber pipe.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Ron,
For my wm 20 I hope to put a beautiful battery box with arrow and date.....
Is it possible to order a copy or to have a file printing 3d.
Thanks
Manu

email (option): manuwlc43@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1