Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TP Markings on Mudguards

Dear All

I have noticed that some people mark the tyre pressure in white lettering on the mudguards. Is this something that was done at the factory, just certain makes of bikes or just personal preference by owners when they restore.

Regards

Stuart

email (option): deepsea@vol.net

Re: TP Markings on Mudguards

I don't think it was done at the factory, but I have seen several war time pictures where the TP number is added to vehicles and motorcycles. So I guess it was at unit or workshop level. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I would say very, very late war. It seems to have been a US habit taken on by WD 'B' vehicles around 1943 - 1944 on a local basis and then applied to motorcycles occasionally towards the end of the conflict. It became standard post-war.

If you're looking at N.W. Europe 1944 (as most restored motorcycles portray) then pretty uncommon.

This is an interesting picture. Rows of new Triumph 3HW's in storage somewhere. They are not from the last few contracts, as they still have steering dampers. The bikes on the left have TP painted on the front guards, although I can't make out a number.
forum

Then this bloke is on a 1940 Velo MAC(WD) but of course I have no idea of the date the picture was taken. Lots of these were from the canceled French contract and were reallocated to lower echelon units (AA batteries, training etc) Ron

image1

Dear All

Many thanks for the feedback, I have the stencils ready to go so I was uncertain to make the addition or not. I think I will add just down to personal preference.

Today I finished the wiring and attached the tank, not much more to go before I can see if the bike will run as well as it did before I stripped her down.

Image_I

email (option): deepsea@vol.net

Looking very nice Stuart......Nearly ready for a lap of the island! Ron

Thanks Steve. Looks like a 1943 M20 and a 1940 3SW. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1